View Single Post
Nonsensical
Keeper of Keeps

Old 09-13-2011, 12:36 AM

After running for awhile, Frei's stomach started demanding to be fed, yet he couldn't even fulfill such a simple request. In a feeble attempt to quiet the noise, he balled up his left hand into a fist and pressed it firmly against his small stomach.

"I shouldn't have gave away the last of my bread to that woman earlier," he murmured softly to himself.

But she was not only starving, but with child too, his conscience replied.

"True..." Though, even as he said that, he worried if, for just this once, he should have thought about himself first. "No! Thoughts like that make people only concerned for their own well-being. Unlike her, I am still able to find my own food. I'm sure I'll come across something to eat soon enough."

As if on cue, the smell of food filled his senses, enticing him to find the source. Frei removed his hand from his stomach, flung his slender arms at his sides to better balance himself, and ran as fast as he could. He normally didn't follow such basic instincts so thoughtlessly, but his hunger propelled him forward. If anyone had seen him, he would have probably looked like a crazed animal, what with his nose in the air, nostrils flared, and eyes wide open.

Then, just when the smell almost became overpowering, another one mixed in with it - smoke. And a lot of it. The smoke broke his concentration and he came to a halt just before it engulfed him, hindering his vision. "Where am I?" he wondered aloud, as he slowly lowered himself onto his hands and knees. Using his hands to determine a safe path, he cautiously made his way across the rooftop.

Shortly after, the smoke thinned out enough for him to make out where he was going. Relieved to be able to see again, Frei stood up quickly to survey his location, only to sink back down to his knees even quicker. Even though he had never been into this part of town before now, he knew, without a doubt, exactly where he was.

This is where the soldiers stay...!

While Frei may have followed some soldiers around one time - OK, maybe a few dozen times - he had always avoided this area like the plague. How he saw it, only fools walked into the lion's den. Yet, here he was, waltzing in as if being a victim to their cruelty was a long lost dream that had just rose up from his subconscious.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! Why didn't I pay more attention to where I was going?! Someone could have seen me!

But they didn't.

Someone could have killed me!

But they didn't.

Realizing this, Frei gathered up the courage to get back up and take another look around. Besides some guards neglecting their duties, there was only one other soldier near and he seemed intent on getting his shoes squeaky clean. The cafe, the whole reason he wound up there, wasn't far off either.

I've come this far, it would be a shame to leave empty handed when what I desire - what I need - is within my grasp. Not to mention, it looks close to closing time. There's hardly anyone in there...

Weighing his options, Frei concluded that if he came this far without any mishaps, there was a good chance he could walk away stuffed fuller than he had been in a long, long time. If that wasn't the case, well, he didn't want to even think about what could happen.

Without further ado, Frei jumped his way over to the cafe's roof. The only question on his mind now was: how do I get in? It was obvious he couldn't break in through the roof, so he clambered down to the ground. There, the answer presented itself momentarily by way of a discarded uniform, tossed into the garbage. He couldn't quite reach it, though, and had to climb in to retrieve it. When his feet hit the bottom, a loud clatter resounded. Luckily, it didn't seem to attract any attention. Pulling out the uniform, Frei barely even registered the stains and tears, only that it was pretty small, even for him.

Oh well, it'll have to do
, he thought, as he got out of the garbage to change into them.

Last edited by Nonsensical; 09-13-2011 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Making it smaller XD