View Single Post
onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post
Hi onsenmark, I have a question...what do you do that requires a long time to prepare for attending an anime convention?

I went to a local anime convention many years ago and because I didn't want to pay the entry price I volunteered as a staff and my task at that time was to supervise a screening session...volunteers had got together to arrange who was to do what but that was my prep for attending...the rest of the time after the actual supervising/task was done, I'd just enjoy the convention for what it was...merchandise, people dressed up in cosplay and quiz night...
Good question. I usually start about two or three months out, with requesting the time off from work, and maybe pre-registering(not necessarily in that order). In that period between pre-registering and heading to the con, I also arrange hotel space for myself, transport(if it's out of town, I usually take Greyhound), procure any food I might need while I'm away if I don't wanna eat takeout/fast food every day(I like to get things on sale here and there, stuff that has a shelf life). After that, it's just packing -- and that can take a little while, particularly if one doesn't wish to rush around last-minute.

I have friends who staff a local convention where I live, and they keep trying to get me to sign up for staff -- I'm still kind of on the fence about the whole thing.