Old 12-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Well, here I go...

We have been so busy the last couple months because my grandma broke her hip back in October and since she was the primary caregiver for my granddaddy (who has a hard time seeing and hearing as well as having dementia and being unsteady on his feet), my mom had to take over pretty much staying over at their house most of the time while my grandma was in a rehab facility for 2 months. They decided that my granddaddy had to be put in a nursing home and had one heck of a time doing that because of the system and he finally was placed in a home around December 4th. Between my mom still going over to my grandparents home a lot because of working out the financial side of things and the rest of us taking over around the house (which is hard because my dad is working most of the time and my brother is in High School) we didn't start to get up our Christmas decorations (besides the tree) until about two or three days ago. I've just not felt in the Christmas spirit this year which is really depressing because it's my favorite time of year and all our normal traditions have gone to pot in the chaos.

To make matters worse, we were supposed to pick up my granddaddy from the nursing home to spend time with the family for a few hours which he had been really looking forward to. My mom got there and he was hooked up to an oxygen tank because he had been wheezing earlier. But they said his oxygen level was fine (they had hooked it up just to be on the safe side) and that it would still be okay to take him with us. So my mom started taking him out to the car and he started wheezing even worse which is what he does before he has heart problems so it scared the heck out of my mom. Meanwhile all of the relatives are showing up at our house and since my mom was planning to be home already to help with the food, my dad in I are in the kitchen trying to help my great aunt and not doing such a great job at it. My grandma and uncle are now at the nursing home at this point and they are all trying to figure out what to do and my granddaddy is finally back in bed and seems to be fine even though he is still a little bit confused. They all still hadn't eaten though and my granddaddy said it would be okay for them to go back to the house to eat but that he did still wanted to see us all at some point. So that's what they do and we spend the whole meal worrying about him and didn't really get a proper visit with everyone. When we got back to visit my granddaddy, he was still in a confused state and seemed kind of almost indifferent and removed from the situation like nothing phased him and pretty much acted like it was a normal visit even though there were 11 of us there. It was kind of disconcerting since he had been talking about nothing but getting together on Christmas for a few weeks. He's been getting worse and worse lately and this was a total reminder of how bad it's been getting.

My mom and brother are visiting him right now and I'm kind of scared to hear what I'm probably going to hear when they get home. I hope everything works out okay.
All I know is that I'd rather not have a repeat of this Christmas ever again.