View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-07-2015, 12:43 AM

Her chest was growing painfully tight with no air now, but she resisted the urge to surface for just a moment more. Then, sputtering, Adelmar pushed out of the water that had grown pleasantly mild over the time she had spent in bath just relaxing and trying to piece today together. When she had found out that Zenon wasn't in his quarters, she had immediately guessed where he was and who was occupying him, but to catch him interrogating Mannik... That she hadn't expected. At least, he didn't look much worse than before, but maybe only because she arrived precisely when she had. Her fiancee had been on the brink of hitting something and she guessed it wouldn't be the table. What the soldier from Below had said to bring him that far down along the anger path, she didn't know and didn't really want to know either.

Zenon had sneaked back in with no issue and they had spent the afternoon together. He was absolutely livid, moving about the room constantly and talking about both important and meaningless things. Again and again, he returned to talk about Mannik, though, and questioned what she had found out about Below, like why she had thought he and Commander were lovers. Apparently, Mannik hadn't maintained the cover and that could turn for the worst for both of them, exposing her lies and bringing to ruin the little reason Zen had kept him alive for.

Strangest of it all must have been when her fiancee finally settled down by her side and looked at her with serious expression, asking her if she minded that... he took lovers. She had stammered at that and said something about understanding that he had 'needs', probably being beet red then, but that it didn't make her happy and if he continued once they were married... At that, he had grasped both of her hands and swore that once they'd be wife and husband, he'd be faithful to her. In that moment, he actually meant it. If it would last once they were married and one of the beauties smiled at him lasciviously, Adel doubted it.

After she had prepared for bed, young woman slid under smooth covers. It was such underrated pleasure - to bath, to sleep in large and comfortable bed. She, too, had thought it so simply and easily available. But there were so many people that couldn't even imagine something like it. What would Commander Imhoff or Mannik look like if they lived the life of lords and ladies? Happy, laughing, well fed and taken care of? She couldn't really picture it.

In all honesty, after seeing what people of Below lived like, she kind of understood even less why they fought so hard to get back there. From one side, some got very bad owners that were harsh and horrible to them, but some got treated decently. They got more food, clothes, chance to bathe often and all the simple, but important things in lives. They could even marry and have children. Not all were slaves, some were simply workers. Her own maids couldn't complain much about their lives and her father was not a very kind master. The kind of desire to be free she couldn't quite understand. From childhood, she was raised to be beneficial to her family name and that was all she wanted. Still, she wouldn't have been completely against bringing some supplies to people of Below if the kidnapping plan would have went as they had intended. (But it never would.)

Sighing, Adelmar toyed with the knife, sliding her fingers over it until it suddenly nicked her pale skin. Wincing, she sucked the blood drop and hid the weapon under her pillow, waiting for sleep to claim her. Her mind continued to spin around all the people she had seen in past few days, especially lingering on Mannik, Imhoff and Zenon. For some reason, they all stared at her with disappointment as she fell asleep.

When Imhoff's social pad final 'rang' it was on the thin line between late evening and night. The number was unfamiliar (Zenon had gotten a new personal SociPad that he kept a secret from his parents, feeling incredibly annoyed and pushed into role of rebellious teenager). If the woman chose to answer, it'd be his image that filled the screen. He was sitting in high back chair, wearing snow white shirt with few open buttons, slight stubble and tousled hair. It seemed like there was fireplace crackling behind his seat. If he were sipping something from a glass, it could as well be advert for some expensive liquor instead of call to person who lead the opposition forces. Either he didn't take her very seriously or was trying to impress her. (Zen wasn't sure which one it was himself.)

"Commander," he greeted her, his tone rather calm and rather well mannered. "I contact you regarding this," for moment her face flashed across the screen, obviously from the speech video, "message. I have reasons to believe it was tampered with and would like to see the unedited version from your side. It'd be better if you sent it to this number, instead of aired it publicly - no reason to add even more wood to the fire that's boiling water that everyone is ready to dump on your people. Let's just say, this is private investigation of sorts." He did actually have the gall to grin at her then. But then the man turned serious once more, although smirk played in corners of his mouth.

"Ah, about your son - he is alive and well, the rather nasty injury he suffered - from your people, no less - has been treated. If you would be interested in trading for him, you can contact me via this number." He moved to seemingly turn the call off, but then tapped finger against his chin and looked at her with spark of curiosity: "One last thing - whose idea was it to kidnap my fiancee? Don't worry - I do not plan to exact any revenge on the person who had such a foolish thought, I think the trouble this has stirred up is punishment enough. Just trying to piece some things together."

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Last edited by sadrain; 01-07-2015 at 02:04 AM..