View Single Post
Arc Angel
Sure, I'll play with you-- in exchange for your immortal soul.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 PM

As his gaze caught the warm smile that Akio sent his way, Dorian's insides recoiled, curling back and lashing out in distaste. Outwardly, however, his own smile merely faded a bit as his gaze fixed on the other curiously. Dorian wasn't used to others as an audience much the less complimenting him on his musical abilities, but it wasn't the compliment that caught him off guard. It was the smile, the kindness in his tone, that had thrown Dorian for a loop. Grinning yet, Dorian's gaze reluctantly left the other's as he tried to cover his surprise despite the brief pause in conversation. He had the thought to thank him, but he quickly brushed the notion away. Instead, Dorian spoke up in a more casual tone of acceptance. "I am glad you think so." His words were simple, and much more tasteful to him than a full-on thank you.

Dorian nodded slowly as he listened to the other's words of music as a tool of communication, how he wasn't a sucker for taking comfort in it. He reckoned he did find some comfort in it, in the pleasant distraction of his keys dancing along the set of keys, but there was more to his attachment to it. "Music does capture a certain... something that words don't about a person." He spoke in agreement. It seemed the other already had a feeling about this, too, as he heard the question asked of him. Sighing softly, he picked his gaze up and allowed it to settle on the man beside him again. His grin faded completely, though his expression remained rather calm. It was trip down memory lane, surely, but one that Dorian did not necessarily mind taking briefly. "My father was a musician of sorts. He ran a small shop in our village, making an occasional sale, but most of what he brought home came from piano lessons." He explained in short, then pausing when his words dried in his mouth.

Marcel, the man that yet haunted him, had quite literally walked into his life one day at that humble shop. Pressing his lips into a firm line for a moment, Dorian darkly mused to himself that perhaps he had memories tied to playing the piano, after all. They were not direct ties to the slivers of memories he still held, but they were relatable enough to events of his life that he had to consciously stop himself form speaking any more of the subject. "He taught me." Dorian finished simply, dismissively, gaze settling on the other's once more as curiosity again brushed past his mind. What was he gaining from telling Akio this? Surely, it couldn't be worth his time. Yet, his grin reappeared as he thought back to his previous assumption. "Yes, I have been playing alone for quite some time." He admitted, voice even but with a touch of... was this, nostalgia?

His mind drifted away from itself and back to their conversation, thoughts swirling about the vague statement he'd made about his father earlier. Dorian had watched Eternia for a good amount of time, but of the king, he still actually knew rather little. As he looked over the man beside him, he realized that despite his tease of the other involving his father, Dorian knew even less of their relationship. Yet, would he push the other into speaking of him? Somewhat torn by the concept of the warm smile he'd received earlier, he instead settled on how he Akio has used that to respond to his actual question. So, he didn't get to play often. Tapping his cheek thoughtfully for a few moments, he then rifled briefly through the folder of sheet music he had brought along to the room with him. He hadn't come with this particular thought in mind, but it was one that may perhaps suit them both.

Setting a new arrangement up carefully on the piano stand, Dorian cleared his throat slightly. "Perhaps a duet, then? I have yet to play pieces such as this." He suggested, not wishing to make it sound more than it truly was. Dorian had not played with another before, so the few pieces he had revolving about four pairs of hands were lost on him. Of course, if the other enjoyed playing, and Dorian wished to continue in his presence, then maybe this was a good venture. What Dorian didn't immediately consider was that he was drawn to the idea of playing alongside someone. He also hadn't quite caught the moment when he had begun to think of Akio as some sort of equal.