View Single Post
Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 AM

The age old question, which is better: a pirate or a ninja? Well then! Onto my opinion. I believe the entire debate is rubbish and I'll tell you why.

When you say "pirate" or "ninja" you're addressing two very broad occupations. For example, who is a pirate anyways? We all know that a pirate is someone who engages in robbery of ships at sea but who is this pirate really? Is he/she some brain damaged, bar brawling, sewer sludge who slashes away at anything that isn't nailed down? Or is he/she a more sophisticated swashbuckler. Is she/he a formal military officer? A expert fencer? Maybe someone like Sir Francis Drake or some other privateer that worked with empires like France, Spain, or England. Does this pirate have a moral code by which they abide by or is morality something as long forgotten as personal hygiene? Needless to say, there's a vast difference between Sir Francis Drake and Peter The Foul Smelling. Maybe its a group of Somalian pirates!

Ninja is a umbrella term to describe espionage skills (spying/disguise), the use of poisons, martial arts, swords, explosives, and numerous other stealthy ways to kill. There are whole schools devoted to the teaching of the art each with their own differences including different techniques, skills, and uses.

There are pros and cons to either. If you throw pirates and ninjas in a urban setting I'd wager the ninjas would prevail. However, at sea? I would wager the pirates. Furthermore because the definitions are so broad its impossible to generate a good comparison. Are we talking about a ninja master against some flea infested slob who spends his/her earnings on alcohol and whores? Or are we talking about a trained and experienced pirate against a ninja who was trained to slip poisons into people's drinks?

The result of the argument with change depending on the condition and situation you place pirates and ninjas. Then, at the very core it's impossible to get a answer because it's all subjective. What criteria are you comparing pirates and ninjas on? Which one is morally better, psychically better, better at operating a ship, better at covert assassination, so on, and so forth. It's like arguing about what food or what books is better. In the end it's all based on personal taste.