View Single Post
Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Old 07-06-2013, 02:52 AM

Yeah, but you will always run into people who are just stupid. XP In my own experience, there are very few people who are actually 'literate' in the sense of the word. Usually, they're semi-lit or a touch above. It's pretty hard to say and it depends on your fellow writers as well. For instance, I can typically write three solid paragraphs easy. Big deal. What I think serves as a better estimate of my writing ability is being able to come up with a paragraph in response to one-liners consistently. I'm not boasting; just using it as an example. :3

That's typically referred to being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu/etc. And yeah, I've seen quite a few of those on here in different places by different authors. It's not always taken to an extreme, but it can still be rather annoying. A similar example would be a character that has powers no one else can in the storyline itself.

As for my own pet peeves, I get irritated by the basic stuff. Mary Sues, godmodding, metagaming, powerplaying, etc. But I don't believe there are very many people who aren't bothered by that stuff honestly. ;) Recently, something that's really bothered me is people being impatient in a roleplay. With living in different time zones and what not, people can't always respond immediately, but these guys don't care. It's just frustrating to have someone show a complete disregard for your personal situation.

In general, I also typically fail to get interested in a roleplay where the characters' powers and abilities are limited excessively. This is especially something I see in fantasy roleplays all over the place. They say, "Yeah, magic exists, but you can only use it to light up a room or something. It's not stronger than that." My problem with it is that it's not really magic like that. I might as well give my character a torch.