View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM

CHAPTER 29 (PART - A)

Benton worked hard fishing on the small schooner boat with four other fishermen and the owner. Three of who were almost twice his age and the other just a few years older. The time went by fast as they were behind on their catch for the week. The owner of the schooner boat was a man of about fifty years who had been fishing his entire life and knew the seas well. His other two friends that were his age were trying to make a wage to keep their families afloat. The man a couple years older than Benton had three children. He too was trying to raise a family. Casting nets and tending rods was the easy part of the fishing. Bringing them in and sorting them was a bit more tedious. Benton had been a deck hand and wanted to find work aboard a bigger vessel. When he had talked to the owner what he thought of the idea he would smiled and tell him when he thought when he was ready to work on a bigger ship he would let him know. That was a year ago when they discussed it.

The hard labor had made Benton a bit tougher but the owner had still told Benton that working your way up in the hierarchy of a ship was something that took time and more dedication. Because of the hierarchy involved with commercial ships that deal in fishing, advancing took time, effort, and a command of skills to perform under pressure. After starting as a deck hand, anyone displaying a calm attitude under a stressful situation and showing roles in leadership may advance with formal recommendations to becoming a first mate on a fishing vessel. During lunch the owner had discussed it a bit with both Benton and his peer.

“Think long and hard before jumping ship… just because the pay may be a bit better doesn’t mean the working conditions are. Working your way up to becoming a first mate takes many years. First mates may qualify to command their own ship, but climbing that last rank is not an easy task. Before making a decision to become a commercial fisherman, it is a good idea to make sure that one, you are willing to dedicate your life to that of the sea, second, you have the guts it takes to persevere through the hardships dealing with others, and finally the willingness to endure the elements for longer lengths of time. In other words, if working on a smaller boat is a bit much for you at times, then I don’t suggest moving on to that”

He explained how when he worked on a bigger ship they would be gone days or weeks at a time and how he wished he had started his own fishing business sooner so he could have spent more time with his children when they were younger. The salary Benton brought home was just barely enough to put food on the table and for couple other smaller expenses. Lucille’s parents gave her money on a weekly basis which was about three fourths the amount Benton brought home weekly that helped offset their costs. He wanted to prove his worth to Lucille and make her realize that she married the right man.

Benton was working like a sentinel after lunch going through the motions without putting much thought to it. His mind was elsewhere the rest of the day. He decided he was going to drive over to Alyssa’s house and hopefully find his brother, apologize even though he still really didn’t agree with his lifestyle, and go find Lucille and get his life back to a level or normalcy. They returned back to port around four O’clock, then they took another hour to store their catch and clean the boat preparing her for a half a day run the next morning.

Benton felt really tired after having a couple of days off, but the weariness made him feel good about himself. After a hard days work, they usually stopped at one of the pubs near the harbor for a drink and their day’s pay. When they arrived at the pub Benton had a pint with the rest of the guys, but he waited impatiently for the owner to pay them so he could do what he had to do.

“Benton, you’ve been exceptionally quiet today, you’re not thinking about jumping ship now are you?” the owner of his fishing schooner asked.
“No Captain Falls, I don’t think the wife would like me being gone for too long” Benton shook his head.
“No of course he wouldn’t jump ship, he’s too much of a homebody” his peer joked drawing a laugh from the other guys.
“That’s not too far from the truth, I do have two little ones at home so a day at sea is enough adventure for me” Benton agreed paying little attention to the others.

“Well men, it’s been a good day” Captain Falls said taking out an envelope handing each of his men the day’s pay. Benton quickly put it away and finished the last gulp of his ale.
Benton’s peer finished the last bit of his ale too. “I guess I’d better leave or I’ll finish my day’s pay in here” he laughed.
“Cheers captain! I need to be on my way too, got lots to do” Benton said smiling in satisfaction.
“Jumping out on us early eh? Wife’s getting a bit tight on the leash eh?” the captain’s first mate joked.
“No sir, not like yours” Benton laughed.
“Fair enough, I guess… I’m ready for another round!” he said finishing his ale.
“Let’s go Benton, tomorrows another day” his peer prompted him as they were about to get up from the table.
“Right Eric!” Benton nodded.
“You lads be on time tomorrow!” the captain reminded them.
“Yes sir” both Eric and Benton answered as they left the now crowding pub.
Just as they were about to leave a group of men came in. Both Benton and Eric bumped into them.

“Excuse me sir” Benton and Eric both apologized.
“Ugh! Watch where you’re going runt!” a man with a light blue jumper and hat a few inches taller than Eric growled.
“Pay attention where you’re moving kid!” a man wearing brown button up shirt with a white skipper’s cap on grunted.
“I’m really sorry…” Benton said backing away slowly around him.
The man’s look instantly changed when their eyes met. Benton was in too much of a hurry to notice.
“Next time I’ll…!” the man in the blue jumper started to say but was stopped by the other.
“It’s ok… I’ll forgive you this time… “ The man in the white skipper’s hat said trying to get a better look at Benton.

Benton and Eric were too quick as they bolted out the door passed the other two men in the group. Allan walked after them stepping outside the pub eying both suspiciously.
“What’s wrong boss? Why did you stop me?” Tom asked a bit confused.
“Did you not notice?” Allan asked a bit surprised.
“Notice what boss?” Tom answered looking at what Allan was looking at.
“What is it?” Mikhail followed them out. Allan and Tom stood their both nodding in agreement.
“Is everything fine?” Ivan too asked with a bit of confusion.
“It looks as if the information was spot on boss” Tom commented finally noticing.
“Exactly…Tintin must think he’s really clever…or he must think we are really daft” Allan agreed.
“So why didn’t we nab him boss?” Tom questioned.
“Tintin? Where?” Mikhail looked around as did Ivan after he heard the mention of the name.
“He acted quite calmly for someone he hasn’t seen in a few years… I found that odd” Allan said adjusting his hat.
“So if that was Tintin, he’ll be running for his life won’t he?” Ivan asked reasonably.

“The informant is inside, we will talk to him first and then proceed from there” Allan turned around walking back into the pub. They took a seat at one of the circular booths in the corner as a man sat there quietly drinking an ale staring at the lantern light that each table had in the center. He sat quietly wearing a grey bandana and had a rusty looking goatee. He was a robust man wearing a golden jumper and black trousers.

“Welcome back…Admiral” a man smiled wickedly as Allan and his entourage joined him.
“So Pearcy, it’s been a while…” Allan said absently taking a seat.
“A round for all my mates” Pearcy raised his hand to one of the servers.
“Was that Tintin we just saw?” Allan asked suspiciously.
“We think it may be… hiding away from all of you” Pearcy nodded.
“He grew his hair out and dresses kind of… manly like” Tom commented.
“A likely disguise” Pearcy dismissed it.
“Certainly he doesn’t go by his name?” Ivan laughed.
“No, here he is known as Benton” Pearcy informed them.
“What a name…” Tom shook his head.
“He’s been here awhile” Pearcy said lighting up a cigarette.
“Really?” Allan nodded lighting up a cigarette as well.
“When you put the word out, I thought I would come here and work for a couple of weeks and see what all I could learn for you” Pearcy explained then took a long drag.

“I thought Tintin was in Antwerp last week…” Allan said confusing himself.
“He could have been… doesn’t take long to get there by ferry” Pearcy said.
“Do you know where he lives?” Allan asked as the server brought everyone their round.
“They say he lives somewhere between Colchester and here” Pearcy said finishing his first pint starting on his next.
“Well then how are we going to find him if we don’t know where he lives” Ivan interjected.
“He comes here like clockwork… see those men over there?” he said pointing low at Captain Falls table.
“Yea, what about them?” Allan didn’t follow him.
“That’s who he works for. He has worked only half a day on Saturdays the past couple weeks. I know because I don’t work that day and have been coming here for lunch the past couple Saturdays between twelve and one and he’s usually here” Pearcy continued.
“So how are we going to lure and take him all the way to Glasgow without everyone knowing?” Tom asked.
“Have faith in my methods Tom, we’ll wait for the opportunity, then we’ll take it” Allan concluded.
“Fair enough” Tom nodded.
"By the way Admiral, where have you been for the past couple years? No one has heard anything from you?" Pearcy asked a bit curiously.
"That, is a mystery even to me" Allan said truthfully. "Even if I told you Pearcy I don't think you would believe me because none of it makes sense" Allan explained.
"Well you know your own business mate" Pearcy nodded.
“Very well, that should cover everything…cheers!” Allan said lifting his mug.

“Cheers!” everyone else lifted their mugs taking a gulp of ale. Allan hoped this was right and that they were finally going to get Tintin. Something still seemed a bit off to Allan. The speech that the young man had did not sound like Tintin, but the size, the hair, the eyes, and the skin color all matched up. “A bit of a coincidence? I don’t think so…” Allan dismissed the thought relaxing for the rest of the evening. They still had a couple of days to make it all happen.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 02-02-2013 at 04:18 PM..