View Single Post
Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM

Have you ever read one of those Choose Your Own Adventure books and thought the choices for what you could do were lame? Wished you could do something entirely different? Maybe you wanted to forget about slaying the dragon all together and go to the ice cream parlor. Maybe you wanted to throw a bomb at the dragon. Maybe you wanted to throw a bomb at the ice cream parlor...? Well, now's your chance! In this Choose Your Own Adventure game, you get to write in exactly what you want to do! Interested? Read on...

How to play
It's simple! I write a bit of a story, and then you write what the protagonist (that's all of you! Yes, you're sharing a body. I know it's cramped, do try not to shove) should do next. Keep it brief! Just one sentence, please. Once I've received a few different suggestions, it's time to pick which one I'll be using. If six people have posted what they would like to do next, then I will roll a six-sided die. The number it lands on corresponds to the person whose suggestion will be used (The first person to give a suggestion is 1, the second is 2, etc.). I'll then write another paragraph or two, rinse, repeat!

FAQ

What's in it for me?
Fun, hopefully! This is just a little game, not a big contest, so there will be no lavish prizes. At the end, I may give out some little prizes to people who posted the best/funniest/most creative suggestions (regardless of whether those were randomly chosen or not)

Can I join?
Absolutely!

What should my suggestions look like?
A good suggestion for what the protagonist should do next looks like this:
Quote:
I go into the cave to battle the dragon
Quote:
I choose for the protagonist to enter the cave with the intention of waiting for the dragon to leave
Quote:
I decide that the treasure just isn't worth it and head to the ice cream store instead.
Your suggestion should be brief and make clear what exactly it is you want the protagonist to do. This is what a bad suggestion looks like:
Quote:
I go into the cave
To do what? This doesn't give me much to work on. On the flip side, this isn't good either:
Quote:
I go into the cave and draw my sword. The light reflects off the sharp blade even though the cave is nearly pitch black. The dragon sleeps as I approach. My foot skims one of the coins from his vast hoard of treasure and lightly clink, clinks down the rocks. I freeze, I don't even breathe. The moment seems to drag on into hours as I wait to see if the dragon heard me...
That's more of a roleplay than a choose your own adventure! What you need to do is give a quick statement of what should be done, and then I tell you what happens as a result. You don't get to control what exactly happens, that's the fun!

How many times can I write a suggestion?
You may write a new suggestion once per story update (when I post the next part of the story).

Can we chat in here?
Absolutely!

Does my suggestion have to be serious?
Absolutely not! I wasn't kidding about that ice cream parlor thing. The sillier the suggestions are, the more fun this becomes!

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 08-06-2011 at 01:29 AM..