View Single Post
Moxie
Irritated Scientist
Send a message via ICQ to Moxie Send a message via AIM to Moxie Send a message via Yahoo to Moxie

Old 10-31-2009, 02:51 PM

I wrote this a long while ago for one of my writing blogs. I cleaned it up a bit and did some editing. I think it is appropriate for this topic.

What is that behind you...?
Username: Moxie
Word count: 390
Entry:
The hair stood up on end on the back of my neck. I could feel every inch of my skin prickle. I held my breath, unaware I was even doing it. The silence was stifling and forced. I forced myself into deafness to drown out the silence.

The fear was irrational.

It always had been irrational. I don’t even know why I had it. The fear turned me not to ice, but to fire. Every sense came to life, over-reacting to the slightest sound, the slightest movement. The movements that made my heart hammer.

The shadows were moving.

I had never been more sober in my life. These were no swirls of drunken movement in my eyes. The shadows themselves were definitely moving, like looking through the white noise on the television into the shadows, feint lines of people visible. They had been there my whole life at the end of the hallway.

In that garage.

My feet froze, but still, my veins were on fire. They were moving and there was nothing I could do. Why was I seeing this? What was I seeing? What it real or just my overactive imagination? But the sight was not what scared me down to my soul.

I could feel it.

It was real.

I closed my eyes, but the feeling did not dwindle. They were reaching for me. These shadow people that crawled around at the end of the hall. It wasn’t even night. It was the middle of the day. These shadows were shadows of day - not the nighttime shadows that just bleed into more shadows.

In my mind, I saw skeletal hand reaching out from beneath the veil to grab me. The red eyes of a face peeking out from there. They were laying in wait to drag me under. They were always in wait to drag me under, pull me in, and make me disappear.

The hands that wanted to pull me in and erase me- destroy me. They wanted to pull me under and erase me from ever being. Make me nothing but a shadow. I don’t know why. I opened my eyes and the shadow ghosts were still there. Still as white noise. Still as silence.

Those shadows twist behind me always.

Those shadows will pull me under one day.