Thread: Don't Hang Up
View Single Post
Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-23-2017, 10:35 PM

Not meeting Harlan's gaze, Jayde answered without any real emotion in his voice. It was something he'd practiced all too often and did perfectly. "You're reading too much into it. Nothing is wrong." Resisting the urge to reach for another cigarette, he shifted so one of his legs lay bent in front of him. His ability to focus on the tv was waning though. And really, he felt glad that Harlan didn't question it. Ask if he knew the victim, or was there, or something that would require a direct lie. Because things were still too ongoing to share.

As Harlan continued to speak though, he was forced to turn, finally meeting the other man's eye. For a second, that was all he did, just regarding Harlan silently. "You're fine. This is enough," he reiterated. Sighing slightly, reached for the remote, but hesitated to turn the tv off. It wasn't that something caught his attention, but he still thought something might. But really, wasn't he just procrastinating at this hidden away hotel by this point? "It's not that I mind you asking, but I have nothing to answer. I'm just watching the news. Don't go expecting more than that." Though the words sounded so simple, he knew the weight that they carried. Don't expect more from me than this. Finally turning off the tv, he ignored Harlan's hand on his shoulder because he didn't need things like that even if it felt warm. He learned long ago how to cope by himself.