Thread: Threat Level
View Single Post
a91nicole
AlliKat

Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Immediately she regretted her decision to step into the room. His threat levels had grown to much higher than she was comfortable dealing with. She hadn't meant to upset him, she only wanted to be able to get a better grasp of his interests and everything. It had been a mistake, and his face and threat levels made that abundantly clear.

"I apologize, I had not intended to upset you so. I simply wanted to be able to speak more easily, I felt that relative privacy might make it easier to talk to you. I was only looking to see what you were reading." Artemis said, backing away to the door to allow him more of his own space. She listened intently as he spoke, making sure to allow him to get his thoughts out. He was slow to speak, and Artemis had caught onto that.

"Files don't show you who a person really is." Artemis said bluntly, all pretense of manners going away. If he was going to be so uncouth, she would as well. "They're numbers, letters, tests written by people who only see you to study you. The nuances of personality cannot be garnered from a small collection of words and bullet points. That's like asking Athena to share her infinite battle wisdom with a child. It simply cannot be done." She spoke, though Artemis wasn't sure why she was even trying. But the chance to talk with someone who challenged her was just so enticing.

"In your response to not being here to please us with conversation, I do understand your stance on the subject. I'd feel the same way if the roles were reversed. How could you feel any differently? Cerberus may be appeased with a song, but it does not change his nature nor the fact that he is forced into a job." Her voice was similar to the way a storyteller would recite one of Homer's epics. Artemis also cast her gaze to him, doing her best to meet his eyes and make it clear who Cerberus was in this metaphor.

"For what its worth, I am not here for you to 'entertain' me. I want to understand. Thats all, I seek to understand everything I can. If that is so offensive to you, than I shall cease to make the effort to understand. But I feel in this agency, though they do not see us on equal ground, and I don't HAVE to respect you, I'd like to. Work is much easier when the workers are willing to speak to one another."

Soon enough, that part of the conversation ended and he did satiate her with the answers to her questions. Though she wanted to move closer and look at the books, his threat levels told her to stay by the door. He hadn't asked her to leave, and she was a stubborn sort. "Well, history is written by the victors." she answered in response to his comment about his book. Moving on to Criminal Psychology, she listened as he spoke of its accuracy. "Do you feel it is accurate for something written by an outside perspective or genuinely accurate? I find there is often a difference. " Artemis dared to venture a question, though his response to it would be surprising either way. She did keep her hand on the doorknob should his threat level rise any further. One thing of note, however, is that her hand was no where near her Plurium Blaster. And it wasn't going to be.