View Single Post
Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 AM

You follow the mysterious note from the artist's studio back down to the manor grounds. The sun has risen, so you're able to survey the cemetery properly. You hold the heart-shaped key in your hand and wonder where it could fit... until. Is that...? Yes, there seems to be a keyhole-shaped indentation in the gravestone of Eloise Marcheford.

You insert the key in and turn. Suddenly, the ground opens to reveal a set of stairs leading into the earth. You descend.

You’ve found me. I had wondered if anyone ever would. That means you have successfully navigated my home.

Who am I? I am Alexander Marcheford, the lord of Marcheford Manor. At least I was a century ago. I am now nothing more than a pitiful, lost soul. If you’re curious as to what this place is, it is the tomb of my most beloved, Eloise. In life I traveled this world, seeking out its treasures. But there is nothing I have ever treasured more than her.

When we met, I was resigned to my solitary life. But Eloise was a beacon within a sea of darkness. And when she consented to marry me, she filled my existence with light. But it was a light that would burn out far too quickly.

The day my precious Eloise died, it felt as if I had died with her. But mine was a waking death, where every second was an eternity of sorrow. And I knew I could not rest until I had her back.

In my explorations I learned many things. I delved into the histories of lost civilizations and studied their archaic practices. I was taught the rituals of hidden lands by wizened, old men, whose knowledge was rooted in time. This, I thought, coupled with my understanding of science, would be enough to return my love to me.

In my campaign to resurrect Eloise, I took the life of everyone around me. Servants, guests, family members. And most regrettably, that of my children. I hoped to harness their life energies, so that I may rekindle the spark in hers.

But it was for not. I was a fool, to think I could defy god and nature. I was a fool, because by trying to bring her back, by trying to soothe the loneliness in my heart, I had solidified that loneliness. The mansion was empty and I was alone.

There was nothing left. My last act was to seal myself with Eloise in her tomb and wait for the inevitable.

The repercussions of my actions are myriad. Those I have killed have become angry ghosts, and they in turn have stolen the lives of others. For this I hold not but the deepest remorse.

But you, you have braved the mansion. You have stood up to the terrors that reside within its walls and you have found the heart of my home. And by finding me, you cut my tether to this place. Myself and all the lost souls of Marcheford Manor. We are free to go now.

What waits for me, for us, I cannot say. But we are free and for that I thank you.

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 11-11-2011 at 12:53 AM..