View Single Post
Mira-Charma13
The Almighty Tallest

Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 AM

"I don't come from a military family." Hm...now there was a hint of irritation in Malum's voice, which peaked as he spoke the word 'family.' Oh, sure...he got on well with his elder brother. They were very close, despite the myriad of differences between them. His parents, however, were a different story altogether. The brunette had a tension-filled relationship with his parents. They never did approve of his lifestyle, nor did they approve of his career aspirations. Malum was a shining academic star. Quite book-smart. He longed to work two careers--one in NASA and one in the conservation of endangered species. His parents wanted him to take over the family business...but Malum had absolutely zero interest.

At first, Malum didn't so much as budge after the other male spoke, and it seemed like he simply hadn't heard him. After a few seconds passed, however, he stirred again, settling in for a long, well-deserved rest. "That's my technological breakthrough that they're touting about as their own." His voice was incredibly scathing. "I don't approve of the excessive consumption of fossil fuels in this country, and oil is one of the worst of the bunch. Disgustingly difficult to harvest, with horrific impacts on the environment. So I made a suggestion--proposed a way to extract the substance without ravaging the environment. They immediately claimed the invention as their own. I should have just kept my mouth shut and waited for one of those safety code hazards they call platforms to explode in a terrible inferno."

For how young this scrawny brunette was, he was certainly articulate. This was a difficult university to get into--the acceptance rate was ten times below the national average! Unless a potential candidate paid their way through or was highly advanced in their academic studies, they were not likely to be selected. Sure, Malum mentioned that he came from a loaded family. But his manner of speaking, and the fact that he came up with an idea to prevent oil from tainting the ocean and groundwater, suggested that he passed the outrageous standards for acceptance rather than forked over a generous amount of money.