Thread: Chemical Love
View Single Post
Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 PM

In his dreams Layland didn't want to stay in full view. It was as if they were in a carnival house of mirrors, and Cian, against his better judgment, was chasing a phantom of Layland that stayed just a few paces ahead of his outstretched hand. The light and dark saturated his vision, confusing him and tripping him up. He fell forward, into one of the mirrors, but instead of his own reflection he saw Layland before the glass shattered and fell around him.

He twitched awake, curious suddenly. White walls, curtains, quiet ticking of a clock somewhere nearby. The ground wasn't hard anymore and instead of smelling earth and grass, he smelled clean linens and disinfectant. Pulling himself up, Cian studied the place. The nurse's office---it was a long room to make way for a dozen small beds, and he was on the one nearest to the door. As he sat up, the nurse's assistant approached with a glass of water. "It's about time you woke up." She said, but sounded kind enough. "You came in at noon and it's nearly four."

Cian knitted his brow, taking the glass with a word of thanks and looking for his bag. He found it propped against the wall by the bed he occupied. "W-who brought me... in?"

"Layland Richards, dear. He didn't say much, just that you passed out from exhaustion."

"Oh..." There was little doubt about that. "I... I haven't been sleeping... very well... lately."

"Aw, sweetie, do you need some help? Students come to me all the time for some sleep aid when they get a little swamped with work."

Cian nodded, and studied the glass in his hand as the assistant disappeared to the next room. Why had Layland brought him in? He didn't have to---there was no reason. Cian scoffed at himself. Of course there was. If not to leave him out there to get run down, to get him away from an animal that might attack. That was all. Another load off his mind, little else.