Thread: Worlds Apart
View Single Post
NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 AM

The stars shone in the dark red sky, just behind where the golden light of the two moons illuminated the surface of the forest. Most fawnettes looked to the skies to read their fortunes, or to tell stories about their Gods, but Nathaniel was different. When he saw the stars in the night sky, he wondered what other nations were out there. What were their cultures? What did they think? What did they eat? This thinking had caused him to be picked on and considered an outcast in his village. He was teased for wanting to meet an alien, and he didn't have any friends.

Tonight was the Romance Solace, when the night sky was red and the moons full, young fawnettes tried to woo their partners. They frolicked in the meadows and picked flowers for one another. They would choose a mate for life, living together and building a family together. Nathaniel wasn't interested in this. He watched as his brothers ran away with pretty girls, not really wanting to join in. He stayed on the platform that he had built just outside his room, where he often sat to stare at the stars and ignored the singing and other noises from the other fawnettes.

"Son...? You still up here?" Nathaniel looked around to find his father standing in his room, peering out at the platform he was sitting on. His father's horns were large, like all mature males. He also had a beard that he had twined with vines and flowers. His brown hair had been plaited with the same vines and flowers, and he was wearing ceremonial robes. "Why are you hiding? Come down and find yourself a nice young female. Your mother is worried about you, that you'll never find happiness."

"Father... I am not interested in girls. I want to travel, I want to see the moons up close, see other worlds... Tell me again about the alien you saw when you were a kid," Nathaniel smiled and looked down at his father, who sighed and shook his head.

"I don't know what to do with you... I try..." He sighed again when he saw Nathaniel watching intensely. "Fine... It was green, and not like you or me. It had wings and a beak and talked in a hideous squawk. Now come down here and find yourself a mate." Nathaniel stayed where he was, turning his attention to the night sky. He would never find a mate. None of the girls were interested in him. His horns were small and his ears were a lot fluffier than most others. They often laughed at him, asking if he was actually female.

"I'm sorry father. Maybe next year."