View Single Post
Bishalisious
💕Deliciously Sweet & Bishy💕

Old 05-17-2015, 02:31 AM

My bf is British and its sooooo funny the language barriers we have sometimes. There is definitely slight differences in American English & British English & the speech patterns we use. The whole chips vs fries, crisp vs chips. mum vs mom, bum vs butt.

We also had this discussion about this term Brits use "Taking a Piss." Now just imagine someone saying that phrase with a British Accent. Smh, its totally hilarious to me & I cant take him serious when says it which in turn as he explained means I'm trying to upset or insult him. Eh, guess thats about what it translate to.

He also use to be so amazed at the portion sizes for fastfood compared to the UK. Apparently. everything is bigger in America...down to our vehicles of course & the food choices are definitely different too. Something as simple as McDonald's. The buns are differently flavored. UK uses a potato bun seems like & sadly even the fries taste different. Mostly he even admits that certain foods taste better here. But to be fair I remind him that the franchises started in America so thats more than likely why.

But since his parents are originally from the Carribeans, Jamaica his dad St Kitts his mom, (they moved to the UK before he was born), he eats lots of island food. He grew up eating dishes like stewed fish, curried goat, saltfish & ackee, rice & peas, beef patties w/coconut bread. I observed too that theirs a huge Indian culinary presence in London. Oh yeah, he absolutely loves Lamb Kebabs.

Sometimes jokingly we debate once in awhile about whos better. The English or Americans? I love to remind him of the meaning & purpose behind the Fourth of July, lol. I do give credit though that Brits are absolutely more well mannered & polite compared to us. Thats definitely part of his charm anyway as far as I'm concerned. Overall the way he communicates with me is what attracted me to him at first. He is a true gentleman & he always gives in or grants me all & any request I make of him.

Last edited by Bishalisious; 05-17-2015 at 02:35 AM..