View Single Post
Esmme
See you later, Cole. "How do you know?"

Old 12-11-2014, 04:39 AM

Sarah watched Adin go with a slight smile. "I'll do my best to attend. Thank you, stranger." The girl carefully took the pass and ticket, looking them over before stashing them with her money and other belongings. These were valuable. She could sell them and get meals for a good couple weeks. Despite this, she knew what she'd choose.

Tomorrow night was Adin's next gig. She wouldn't be selling the ticket for money. She'd attend. Sarah finished off the rest of her muffin quickly, and gave the waitress a quick smile before stepping back out onto the street. It was dark now, and the light rain that fell wasn't as terrible as it had been earlier. Sarah pulled up her worn hood and moved through the streets. She'd find a dry place to stay for a few hours of rest. Tomorrow night, she'd find Adin. Her curiosity was just too much to keep back. Sarah had wished to have a friend for so long - it had been years since she'd actually spoken to someone like she'd so easily spoken to Adin.

Perhaps I'm acting desperate? Sarah's brow furrowed as she tucked herself into a dry corner between two buildings. No, no. She wouldn't let herself be desperate. She'd be fine.
-

((So ... comment: I just realized that Derek look like Ara'mis in his surrogate form, just more serious. ))

Just as Hotaru went through his morning routine to get ready, Derek did the same. Funny, how neither of them knew it yet. They were to be partners on this mission. It wasn't supposed to be a tough one - just some hired muscle to help protect a batch of Hatters that wanted to survey some old-city ruins. Still, it was more interesting than looking for the easy work around town. There was nothing wrong with accepting jobs like bodyguard and bouncer, but ... they were thankless, boring tasks. They were a lifestyle, not just a simple contract for a job.

Derek pulled on his boots and glanced at the charging station. He'd just woken up, which meant his avatar had been charging overnight. As he prepared, he briefly let his mind move to his human body - he was so confined in his real form. Why would anyone ever want to live without a surrogate? They couldn't do anything.

His grey eyes moved to his ready-made supplies for the trip. The Pyrate stood, taking a deep breath before doing what was necessary - a gun was attached to his belt, and a few short blades tucked into each boot. A light pack on his shoulders would allow for emergencies - bandages, rope, food and water ... he likely wouldn't use any of it, but Hatters weren't as durable as Pyrates. Who knew what would happen?

Derek stepped out onto the street, avoiding meeting the gazes of Hatters as they bustled about to get to work. A few Uni were awake so early in the morning, and they hustled to avoid him. Pyrates were few and far between, and most were already out on their jobs or still sleeping from their last late night excursion.

By the time Derek was at the designated meeting spot, his grey eyes were full of energy. He was ready for this task. He wanted to leave now. The Pyrate was greeted by a few of the Hatters as they waited, and was briefly surprised to find that they needed to wait for one more - another Pyrate. Two Pyrates. They must have thought they'd need more than one body builder.

Derek smiled to himself grimly, and leaned against the nearest wall to wait. Alright. Who was his partner supposed to be?
-

Odessa was so easy to provoke. Cain smiled slightly as she began to speak, her words growing more powerful with each passing moment. "If you'd rather leave things as they are, then I am finished for the night." His words were quiet, but didn't do much. With a slight smile, the male leaned back in his chair. Skies, he was exhausted. Now that the serum was kicking in, he needed rest.

"Perhaps it is best if you do leave." It wasn't said with anger, but merely as an observation. "I am not certain I can keep my curiosity from getting the best of me, Odessa. If you are so frightened by it, then your own dwelling is a better place for you to be."

His strangely mocking expression was followed by a chuckle as she spun to glare at him. "You say you are not easily broken, yet here you are ... you bristle at my looking into your past, and you discourage any thoughts of glitches. What is one to think, Odessa? This is what gives away your wariness and your fear." Why did he insist on pushing? Because that was how he worked. He pushed, and eventually something caved. That was how the world worked. Or, how it had always worked for him.

"Truthfully," he met her gaze, his own glowing with whatever energy the serum had pushed into his bloodstream, "it is unwise of you to stay. But your reason to stay ..." Cain looked thoughtful for a moment before forcing himself to sit up. Within seconds he had a hovering screen over one wall. With a few swift movements, it held the information (or lack of such) that he had found on Odessa. On the other half of the screen, however, was the same mirrored lack of information about Cain himself. "Finding another glitch is said to be impossible. My curiosity is not because I wish to destroy your anonymity, Odessa. It is because I see too many similarities to call this a coincidence."

Cain sat down again, looking weary. He ran a hand over his face, sighing quietly. "Now will you stay, or go?"