View Single Post
ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-13-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R a n d e h View Post
I've never tried a Kindle book, and I've only read 1 ebook but it was just a PDF copy of the book on my phone LOL.
oh i actually love reading books on my phone, i need to do that more when i'm out and about. but not at home, it's so rough on my wrists. but just like, instead of idly refreshing all my chat websites, i could just open hoopla and skimmy dip.

Quote:
I've never liked audio books this year. I have tried but I can't stand people just chatting away to me. I don't do podcasts either! BUT, I realized if you find an audiobook with someones voice you enjoy, it does make all the difference...AND you can speed them up, because I agree they read SO slow.

My first audio book was this year, and it was American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. It's about a young Mexican mother and her young son who are fleeing Mexico after the cartel takes out their family. The book is read by someone of Mexican descent so she has an accent, and rolls her r's and all that good stuff. So it was actually really fun to read, almost like the narrator in a movie. And I sped it up x1 to keep her going faster HAHA. The story was also really good.

oh Spanish in audiobooks or podcasts is so good sped up! they always speak unnaturally slowly in children's books or books with more simple vocabulary, so it's nice to speed that up and hear a more realistic speaking pace. it's so cool they chose that narrator for that book! there's so much appropriation of Mexican culture, it's nice to get to appreciate it from someone who's part of that culture instead.

Quote:
My second audio book, that's I'm on now. I'm struggling with a bit but only because the story so far is so so...but I'm halfway through and they are making some big discoveries now which are giving you some "OHHHH" and "AHHH" moments of excitement lol. This one is "The Women of Pearl Island" by Polly Crosby and it's about an island off the British Coast and the person reading it has a beautiful British accent, I didn't have to accelerate this one because she reads fast, which I enjoy. She also has a voice for the main character and then a voice for everyone she talks to so you can differentiate in the conversation.
that's one situation where the slower pace is kinda good, right? then you really get the slow burn and suspense. i like when they do different voices, as long as they're good at it. it's definitely more like listening to a play then.

Quote:
To find these two though I listened to 1st chapter samples of many books LOL if the audio reading sounds like a computer, I'm out. If the reader doesn't put emphasis on words and expressions, I'm out. If they pronounce words different than I do (by a lot), I'm out LOL
definitely good to know what you're looking for samples are so clutch, it's like getting to flip through a book before you read it.

Quote:
All this to say, I wouldn't completely write off audio books, make it your 2023 to find an audio book you can tolerate, it may open up a new world for you! I now listen to my book when I'm getting ready in the morning for work, on my drive in/home and when doing chores lol I find it's helped since I would rather read than doing any of that stuff, so now I can do both. I can't listen and work though, I am too distracted by my work to focus.
i'll see if i can give it a shot! yeah i have that issue too, i'd want to listen to them while i'm drawing, but i find that i get really concentrated on what i'm doing and totally zone out what i'm listening to. i breathe really heavily too, art must really take a lot out of me