View Single Post
Kleine Robotik
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM

Truer words have never been spoken. You have to keep going at it to get better. Want to get better at drawing? Keep doing it. Every artist has to develop their skills. There is only so much "natural talent" and most of that is the talent for learning new things, not being naturally gifted at churning out amazing works over and over.

I look at some of my old stuff and it's almost a physical pain of disappointment. IT'S. SO. BAD.

If my 11 year old self could see the stuff I make on my off days, she'd probably not believe it's where she'd be over a decade later.

Personally, I have days of awesome work. Then I have days, many many days, where nothing I make ends up making me happy or particularly impressing me. Then someone looks at it from the outside and is like, "DUDE, THAT'S SUPER AWESOME" and I'm all, "Nuhuh, that dude's face is wack and etcetcetc..."

You're always going to be more critical of your work than anyone else. But that's okay. In some ways it's good. Take that and use it to make yourself better. Never stop working at it. If you get bored, try something different, a different medium or drawing program, just something.

But to be honest, I get a lot of my most useful reference from the times I made myself draw a bunch of stuff I had no interest in drawing. (Still life? Gag me with a spoon.) It teaches you to observe things and recreate them in your own way.

Another thing, don't compare your art to others. Everyone's art is different, like their fingerprint. You can draw from other artists, use it to inspire you and build on it. Don't just straight up jack someone's style and force yourself to draw everything that way. This is painfully obvious on deviant art and other sites like that, some people even going as far as making complete recreations of things and changing colors. But I digress.

So yeah, relish in your sucking at things. Use to to push yourself forward. Get better. Make more amazing things. Learn to love your art.