Thread: Audiobooks
View Single Post
Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 01:55 AM

I like audiobooks when I'm cleaning the house but usually default to Netflix or a DVD instead. Audiobooks are best for long trips! I travel quite a lot so they really help kill time when I've got 3 hours or more to drive from point A to point B.

If you haven't heard of them, there's also such a thing as "graphic audio." They're audiobooks, but they're acted out and have sound effects! They advertise as "movies in your mind." So instead of one person reading the book straight to you, changing their own voice to try and match different characters, they actually have a different actor for each character! And if there's a battle going on in a fantasy novel, you're going to hear swords clashing and mens' screams. If a monster is attacking a village, you'll hear dragons breathing fire and the chaos that ensues. You hear splashes when someone jumps into a river, a knight's horse neighing, etc. They are absolutely fantastic!

You can browse their selection at graphicaudio.net. You can buy CDs or download MP3s. (I highly recommend Blue Moon Rising, from the Forest Kingdom Saga.) They do major works, too, best-selling books and famous franchises, not just unheard-of works by unknown authors. I even noticed they started carrying these CDs at bookstores but first discovered them at a gas station when I was on the road and looking for something to kill the boredom and keep me awake.