View Single Post
Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Penpal

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Alfonso studied the two children thoughtfully. 'Children,' indeed. I must be getting old. I've seen girls her age married with a child or two. She's probably hoping to improve her station... Or perhaps not, she seems quite devout. Still, they look strong and healthy, and they don't seem to be afraid of hard work. "I see. And are you also aware that this household has had... difficulties, of late?"

Marisa's shy gaze measured Alfonso even as he studied her brother and herself. After years of dealing with Nazario, she found herself hestitant to trust any man except her brother, but this old man seemed kind... even gentle. She had no doubt he would be a hard taskmaster, but she also felt a growing certainty that he would be a fair taskmaster. It would be wonderful to work for someone they could respect instead of fear!

Gripping her rosary and inwardly praying for confidence, Marisa met Alfonso's eyes with a serious grey gaze. The man's respectability demanded at least part of the truth from her. "That is the reason we were so bold as to come to your door, sir... because we knew that you would have enough trouble finding help that we might have a chance. We don't mean to take advantage of the family's misfortune, of course, but we'd be foolish not to at least try to get a place in a good house when we saw the opportunity."

It took a good deal of effort for Alfonso not to laugh at the girl's candor. Her honesty was refreshing, but he didn't want to hire someone just to lose them again in a few days. "You're not frightened?"

"We're not afraid of hard work..." Marisa tried to choose her words carefully. She wanted to tell the truth, but she didn't want to spoil their chances or give too much away. "As for spirits... I would be lying if I said they don't frighten me. But we've been to places before that were supposed to be haunted, and we've never seen any ghosts. I like to believe the Lord protected us... Even if he didn't, I'm sure he will if we ever do encounter an apparition."