View Single Post
BellyButton
Assistant Administrator

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-25-2016, 04:29 AM

Day Four StoryX

-In Room 203-
musasgal: I stayed in a place like this once.
Miscreant74: Poor you.
musasgal: It was when I was a kid. My dad was cheap.
Miscreant74: Couldn't have been as cheap as my dad. One summer he said, "Get in the car, kids! We're driving to Disneyland!" Four days we were on the road. When we finally got there, we sat in the parking lot for three minutes and then left. When we tried to protest, he replied, "I said we were going to Disneyland. I never said we were going inside."
musasgal: Wow, that is the ultimate dad joke.
Miscreant74: Funny thing is that it's cost me years and years of therapy.
musasgal: While that was a warm and fuzzy jaunt down memory lane, let's just do what we gotta do and get out of this place.
Miscreant74: I second that. Everyone in this town is off their rocker.
musasgal: Do you think Mr. Wolds is even here?
Miscreant74: He's obviously not in this room?
musasgal: [playfully] Well hold on, we didn't check the bathroom. [opening the door] ... Uh oh

Arthur: It’s days like this that make we wish I had stayed in college. If I had spent more time studying than going to keggers, I could’ve had me a comfy 9-5 office job by now.
Belly: My old man wanted me to take over his butcher shop. Still does. He says I have a natural talent for slabs of meat. I’ve never been sure if I’m supposed to take that as a compliment.
Howdy: My mom wanted me to be an optometrist. She said with my brains and my god-given gift for helping others, I coulda been the best eye doctor ever. I think she just wanted free glasses. --- But I had other plans. Bigger dreams. Bigger aspirations.
Belly: What did you want to be?
Howdy: Scooby Doo.
Arthur: [cracking a smile] I guess we all had goofy dreams when we were kids.
Howdy: Yeah. Cause then I turned 19 and realized that wasn’t going to happen.

The cheerful air between the three is suddenly cut by the lights going out.

Arthur: [exasperated] What fresh hell is this?

Arthur, Belly and Howdy begin to head toward the front hall, but are stopped dead by a scream coming from the upper floor.

Belly: What the heck?!
Howdy: That sounded like musasgal!

Past the double doors and back into the reception area, they’re soon joined by the rest of the delivery crew. Thinking fast, Arthur retrieves a small flashlight from his pocket.

Arthur: Are we all here? [taking count] Wait, where’s Miscreant74 and musasgal.
Belly: [frightened] That had to be her we heard upstairs!
Arthur: Then let’s find out!
Ominous voice: There’s no need to hurry. You’ll soon be joining them.

Fear quickly floods the veins of the delivery crew. Shining the beam of his flashlight upward, three terrifying figures appear at the top of stairs. Arthur gasps. The figures are masked and cloaked in black robes, their hands hidden by white gloves. Not one inch of skin is revealed. Slowly they begin to descend.

Arthur: [trying to keep his voice strong] Who… who are you?! What do you want? Where are our friends?!

Masked Figure #1: Who we are is not important to you.
Masked Figure #2: What we want is simple. We want you… and the box!
Masked Figure #3: As for your friends… Come quietly and we’ll take you to them.
Arthur: [eyes wide and near frantic] You gotta be kidding! This is some kind of joke!
Masked Figure #3: [in frighteningly calm voice] Yes, that right. This is all a game. A joke. So why not come with us and we can all laugh together. [reaching out his hand]

Movement can be heard from the corridor beyond the reception area. Arthur shines his beam in that direction, only to find more of the robed ghoulies slowing closing in on them. His mind races. What the hell?! This can’t be happening! This is a bad dream! Arthur’s heart begins to beat faster and faster, shifting the flashlight from left to right as the two groups close in. Words lodge firmly in his throat until…

Howdy: Ruhroh, Raggy! Ret’s get out of rere!

In the blink of an eye, the MDS team is off and running. The front entrance is locked, but the sheer force of them pushing against the weather-beaten door forces it to give. Escaping the inn, they spill out into the night.

Arthur: Everybody get to the van!

But Belly is the first to see the fault in this plan.

Belly: Oh no, where is it?! The van’s gone!
Howdy: Not the Mystery Machine!
Arthur: [angry] Those f#%$ers!
Belly: [looking back] Arthur, they’re right behind us!
Arthur: Everyone, into the woods! Run!

Moving through the darkened forest is no easy feat. It’s hard to distinguish the obstacles in front of them, but Arthur takes the lead, helping the others maneuver through the blackness. But as fast as they run, the masked figures keep a steady pace behind. Soon, they began to lose their breath, their lungs burning in the cool and relatively dry air.

Belly: [panting] Just… give them.. the package, Arthur! And then maybe… they’ll leave us alone!
Arthur: No! … Remember our motto! The… Moonlight… Delivery Service: … We never give up… your package… even if we’re being chased by satanists!
Belly: Oh come on! You made that one up!

Somehow, perhaps through sheer will to survive, Arthur and the others press on into the inky woods. Eventually the footsteps behind them lessen, until the sound disappears altogether. They stop and listen, still cautious, but are relieved in the knowledge they’ve gotten away.

Arthur: Take a breather, guys.
Howdy: [worried] And then what, Arty?
Arthur: We’re gonna get off this mountain and get out of this town!
Belly: [thinking] …even if we’re being chased by satanists. [her mouth drops open] Oh my god. Guys, remember the story about Devil’s Peak? How the group of devil worshipers came out here from back east? Maybe this is that same group!
Arthur: [incredulously] Seriously? What, you think they’re going to open a doorway to hell?
Belly: [irritated] No! But maybe they think they are! [grabbing the package from Arthur] And maybe they think whatever’s in here is going to help them. [she shakes the box, but it makes no sound]
Arthur: Hey there! [taking it back] Handle with care, mama. --- Look, it doesn’t matter what motive these looney toons have. Getting out of here is our number one priority. 'Cause they’re not just after the box. They’re coming after us too. They’ve been picking us off all night. Who knows what they’ve done with the others.
Howdy: [trying to sound positive] Maybe they’re keeping them cozy and giving them snacks and chocolate pudding and stuff.
Belly: [grimly] Or maybe their bodies are hanging on a hook somewhere.
Arthur: [giving her the side eye] A natural talent for slabs of meat, eh? [he stands] Let’s keep going.

After a few odd minutes of walking, the team finds their way back to the road. Moving in silence, they freeze as a vehicle appears, coming up the mountain. Unsure whether to retreat back into the trees, they’re promptly relieved to see it’s a police van.

The van slows, then stops. Behind the wheel sits an officer with chestnut brown hair.

Sheriff Henderson: Something wrong, folks?
Arthur: Oh god, you don’t know how glad we are to see you. This is going to sound crazy, but… My name is Arthur Abernathy. My team and I are from the Moonlight Delivery Service. We came out to Devil’s Peak to deliver a package, and somehow… we got mixed up with this group of people. They’re like a cult! And now they’re after us!
Sheriff Henderson: A cult, huh? [suspicious] You people been drinking?
Belly: It’s all true, officer. I swear. They took our delivery van. They took some of our friends! And we don’t know what they’ve done with them!
Sheriff Henderson: [stone faced] You’re not pulling my leg?
Howdy: We can talk about your kinks later! But please, you gotta help us.
Sheriff Henderson: [he thinks for a moment] Alright, hop in.
Arthur: Thank you! Thank you, Officer…
Sheriff Henderson: Sheriff Terrence Henderson. Look, I’m not saying I believe this story. But something’s obviously got you people shaken up. So let’s take a little trip to the station and see if we can get this cleared up.
Belly: Anything you say…

They begin to drive, the van traveling further up the mountain. The team begins to breath easier, thankful that the nightmare is finally behind them.

Sheriff Henderson: And where did you see these cult members?
Arthur: At the Devil’s Horn Inn. But I think everyone we met here tonight may be part of the cult.
Sheriff Henderson: And what did they look like?
Howdy: Real spooky. These weird lookin’ masks and long black robes.
Sheriff Henderson: Well like I said, as soon as we get to the sta… [his words are cut off as the engine begins to stutter] What the?! [suddenly the engine dies and the van rolls to a stop] Gosh darnit! I can’t believe this! I just had this thing serviced last month. --- You people stay here.

Leaving the safety of the van, Sheriff Henderson moves to the front and pops the hood. Arthur, Belly, Howdy and the others sit quietly, almost afraid to make a sound. They were home free, and now this had to happen. Not a word is spoken, but silently everyone prays for Sheriff Henderson to hurry. Abruptly, he calls out.

Sheriff Henderson: I think I found out what the problem is!
Arthur: [responding] What is it?
Sheriff Henderson: The problem is… [he slams down the hood] …you thought you could get away.

Shouts fill the van! Standing there, in the darkened road, is the masked visage of Sheriff Henderson. “He’s one of them!” Arthur cries. The crew claws at the doors, scrambling out of the vehicle. Without hesitation, each sprints off back into the forest, running for dear life.

Sheriff Henderson: [tauntingly he calls] You can run, but we'll find you!

Darting through the trees, the group is once again gripped by terror and despair. They needed to get down the mountain, but they had allowed themselves to be taken further up. Arthur could feel the hopelessness begin to creep in, but he couldn’t surrender. Not now.

Belly: What do we do?! They’re going to be behind us!
Arthur: Just keep running! We’ll figure something out!
Howdy: Look! [pointing] To the left!

There, a few hundred yards away, is what appears to be a ranch sitting in the shadows.

Arthur: [without a second thought] Let’s go!
Belly: But what if they’re there?
Howdy: It looks abandoned.
Belly: Every place in this stupid town looks abandoned!
Arthur: We’ve got no choice. There’s no where else to go. [calling out] Find a place to hide, guys! And stay safe! We’re not going down easy.

Day Four ResultsX

Barn
Moving through the barn, you follow Howdy past what was once a workshop and into a dusty storage area. Crouching down, you sit silent, listening for movement. But then Howdy exclaims, "Hey, I found some kind of book!" You say shhhh, and wonder how someone like him could be your senior at work. --- But you gotta admit the book is interesting. It's old and cryptic. And on the back are four strange symbols. You don't know why, but something about them puts a knot in your stomach.

Bathroom
They say that exercise aids digestion. And you certainly got plenty of exercise running through the woods. The toilet doesn't look exactly clean and you're sure the water's not running anymore, but hey... any port in the storm. You lift the lid and make a puzzling find. There in the bowl is a stash of cash. --- There's got to be story here. Maybe you can think of one while you're doing your business.
(+600g )

Den
The minutes tick by as you hide in the den. Your mind wanders, and you begin to wonder what kind of family may have lived in this house, once upon a time. Were they close? Were they loving? Did they all gather in this room, round the fireplace and talk, or tell stories, or play games. You wish you had had that kinda closeness with your own family. Your parents aren't very demonstrative people. On your 18th birthday, you came home and found your things packed. "Happy Birthday," they said, "Here's some money. Now get out." ... And that was them being nice.
(+700g )

Hen House
It's cramped and smelly in the hen house, but hopefully it's safe. The ranch seems abandoned, but yet there's evidence that chickens have been in here recently. Just as you ponder this thought, a sudden noise frightens you! Is is the cult members?! No... it's a lone chicken peeking it's head around the corner. That's a relief. ... She's a pretty little thing. You'll call her Peanut.
(What the Cluck...)

Kitchen
Mrs. Etherington's rundown kitchen looks like a five star resort in comparison to the one in the abandoned house. The floor is filthy and the counters chipped. You don't want to even imagine what's in the ancient fridge. The only thing that isn't covered in grime is the tablecloth on the kitchen table. But on closer inspection, you find that it's not a tablecloth at all. It's a skirt! How curious.
(Folklorico Skirt - Spring Moon)

Master Bedroom
Initially, the footprints in the master bedroom floor freaked you out, but on closer inspection they don't appear to be fresh. Still a bit suspect. As you wait on the all clear from Arthur, you have a quick look around. Tucked in the corner is a card board box. You open it, and odlly find a bunch of old clothes. The mustiness hits your nose and you put them back. Who would wanna take those?!
(Peeblo's Laundry Heist)

Smithy
As frightened as you are, and as much as you'd like to leave Devil's Peak altogether, you have to admit it's kinda neat in the smithy. You've never been a blacksmith's shop before. And while the place is mostly empty, the anvil and forge remain. Realistically you know they probably only made horseshoes here, but it's fun to imagine that they made spears and axes and swords. Badass swords! Yeah!
(Katana)

Stable
You sought safety in the stable, which turned out to neither safe nor stable.
(MISSING- See F.A.Q. - +1 Raffle Ticket)

Where is everybody?X

-- Barn
hummy - ooo
Miscreant74 - ooo
Nema - ooo
Shadami - ooo
Xo~GREMLIN~oX - ooo

-- Bathroom
dragoness129 - ooo
Inspiration - ooo
M i n u x e - ooo
wish - ooo

-- Den
Angel Spirit Girl - ooo
Damia Flagg - ooo
Divacita - ooo
Kent - ooo
musasgal - ooo
shinigamikarasu - ooo
star2000shadow - ooo

-- Hen House
evil_samara - ooo
evilcupcakecat - ooo
Hunter Ash - ooo
Kay - ooo
mdom - ooo
Midian - ooo
Mimmu - ooo
Nephila - ooo
Precarious Fool - ooo
Razak - ooo
Roachi - ooo
sadrain - ooo
Xogizmoox - ooo
xoxoAngiexoxo - ooo
Yamka Jaden - ooo
zigbigadorlube - ooo

-- Kitchen
HIM_ROCK - ooo
~LONGCAT~ - ooo

-- Master Bedroom
DivineHeart - ooo
Dystopia - ooo
Elirona - ooo
*Hime* - ooo

-- Smithy
Arinia Dreamdancer - ooo
Eastriel - ooo
GummyBearKisses - ooo
Kamikaze Kendra - ooo
Mageling - ooo
Naisou - ooo
SuperZombiePotatoe - ooo
Vox - ooo
woohoohelloppl - ooo

-- Stable
Hadsvich - ooo
Prismatic Llama - ooo
Rochiel Silverfire - ooo
Velvet - ooo
Woodlandnymph - ooo
Woofie267 - ooo

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 11-03-2016 at 02:56 AM..