View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 PM

CHAPTER 26 (PART - A)

The ride to Glasgow was a long and tedious one, riddled with stops and noisy people getting on and off. Once they reached Carlisle the number of riders dropped a bit allowing them to be alone in the train compartment. Chester let Enzo take a short nap then when Ezno woke up a couple hours later, Chester took a turn napping. Chester told Enzo that one of them needed to stay awake because he did not trust people these days. Enzo reflected on the events back at Mary Ann’s house while Chester slept.

Enzo realized that Captain Haddock and Tintin were more than just friends. The nature of Haddock and Tintin’s relationship was a topic that was not open to discussion. Chester was more than a bit reserved about discussing such private matters with anyone other than the person in question. Enzo wanted to know more about how it worked and how long they had been together. Tintin was not forthcoming with the information and only hinted to Enzo that he was correct near the end of their stay.

Enzo was about to turn twenty years old within a couple of days and wanted to do something fun. Enzo had never experienced true love before. He began thinking about a childhood girlfriend whom he remembered back home. She was only fourteen at the time while he was fifteen. They had been out and had an innocent kiss once or twice. The last time he was in a year ago they had a more passionate kiss sneaking away from her family, but Enzo realized another boy had his eyes on her as well. Ezno thought girls were beautiful but also began to be more aware of men too. He found it really confusing but wanted to ask Tintin more questions that he just didn’t feel comfortable talking to Captain Chester about something so personal.

Enzo felt the last few days in England he had grown a bit more. He learned more about friendship and loyalty as he had noticed Haddock and Chester seemed to have an unbreakable bond almost as if they were blood relatives. Enzo didn’t know all of the details concerning Tintin’s visit with his brother Benton, but Chester had told him things didn’t go well as the evening progressed. Benton seemed like such a nice young man like Tintin or Fenton as his brother liked to call him.

“Last stop Glasgow!” a conductor walked by and announced.
“Finally” Enzo thought glad that they would be able to get off the long train ride, it was almost ten O’clock that night.
“Captain Chester” Enzo said gently budging him.
“Hmmm” Chester grunted.
“We’re almost here” Enzo relayed.
“Oh” he replied lying with his back facing Enzo. Slowly he turned over, sat up, and stretched.
“Time goes by much faster when you’re sleeping” Chester yawned.
The train began to slowly come to screeching halt as they entered Central Station in Glasgow.
“Well let’s go!” Chester said grabbing his belongings leading Enzo off the train.

People were filtering into the huge station out of the train, but the crowds weren’t huge at this hour. A couple moments later a young pretty fiery haired girl with a young blond haired man and a young baby girl stood not far from the train waving.
“Father!” she cried out in glee.
“Elizabeth!” Chester ran to embrace his daughter.
“It’s so good to see you again!” she beamed.
“How’s my lass doing these days?” he brushed her long fiery red hair aside.
“Mum just left yesterday, she was here for almost a week. Been doing great! I see you brought Enzo!” She smiled giving Enzo a hug as well.
“Hello Elizabeth!” he smiled hugging her back as they walked over to join the rest of her family.
“You’ve been taking care of my dad?” she joked.
“The best I can” he laughed.
“Captain!” Elizabeth’s husband said giving Chester a hardy handshake and a small hug.
“You taking good care of my lass Kevin?” Chester jokingly asked.
“She takes care of me” he winked over to his wife.
“I see…” Chester looked at his daughter knowing how strong willed she was like him.
“How’s my granddaughter Rachel!” Chester said picking up and kissing the little girl standing next to her father.
“Pa pa—“ the little two year old replied laughing.
“She’s growing fast!” Chester handed her back to her father.
“Well met Enzo!” Kevin said shaking his hand.
“Same to you” Enzo replied.

“Let’s go home dad we have our small van parked a few blocks away” Elizabeth said as the small family began making their way back to their van. They drove for about twenty minutes until they reached the outskirts of Glasgow in a small house. It was nothing impressive, just an old style home that had been turned into two apartments. An elderly couple lived on the right side of the house.

“It’s late so we need to keep our voices down… the landlords across the hall are funny about us having guests late at night, but I’ve already told them you were coming” Elizabeth explained. The night air was a bit chilly.

“I will make everyone a nice mug of hot cocoa” Elizabeth said going to their small kitchen.
Chester and Enzo took a seat on the large sofa they had. Little Rachel had to be carried in as she fell asleep on the way home.
“Excuse me while I put the sleeping princess to bed” Kevin said carrying his daughter to one of the rooms.
“You’re granddaughter just keeps getting bigger and bigger” Enzo commented to Chester.
“Yes, us Chester’s are like that, big and strong…even the women” he laughed.
Enzo glanced again at Elizabeth as she was boiling some milk and water on the stove. She wasn’t a big woman. Only an inch shorter than Enzo, and athletic, she was definitely an active mother. Her hair was really long and from her appearance she took care of it too. Her eyes were just like her father’s a nice light grey.

“So we’re leaving Monday?” Enzo asked.
“Yes, and we will be leaving quite early too, so make sure you get plenty of rest the night before” Chester warned.
“Do you think Captain Haddock and Fenton are ok?” Enzo asked a little worried.
“I’m sure they’ll be fine, they’ve pulled through much more tougher situations in the past” Chester commented.
“What tougher situations?” Elizabeth came in to join them on the sofa setting down a tray of four mugs of hot cocoa.
“I was talking about your Uncle Haddock” Chester grinned.
“Oh…yes, how did your visit go with Aunt Mary Ann, Uncle Bob, and Uncle Archie?” Elizabeth laughed.
“It’s been quite interesting…but we had a good time overall I believe” Chester summed it up.

“Really?” Elizabeth paused to hand them their mugs.
“Is something wrong?” Chester regarded his daughter’s confused look.
“Well, I don’t think so… is there?” Elizabeth returned the question.
“It’s nothing you should be concerned about dear” Chester returned.
“Are you sure? Aunt Mary Ann called and asked me to have you call her as soon as you arrived” Elizabeth mentioned.
“Is that so? Did she say why?” Chester asked.
“No, she wouldn’t say, nor would Alyssa” Elizabeth took a sip of her hot cocoa.
“Perhaps I should give her a call then” Chester nodded.
“Sure dad, the phone is in the kitchen, and I have her number listed in my notebook on the table” She replied.
“I think I’ll do that…” Chester said getting up and going to the kitchen. Elizabeth watched him leave the room and go behind the corner into the kitchen.
“Enzo, is there anything that I should know?” Elizabeth began hounding him.
“Well…you see…” He answered awkwardly not wanting to say something he shouldn’t.
“I’m his daughter Enzo, if my father is concerned I have a right to know” she said succinctly.
Enzo looked into the kitchen and looked back at Elizabeth not sure where to start. Maybe there was a reason why Mary Ann didn’t say anything.
“Well it's true we did have an interesting time before we arrived here in Scotland out at Victoria Station in London…” Enzo began retelling insignificant events in a greater light.

XXXXXXXX

Captain Chester dialed his sister’s phone number and the phone began to ring. Almost instantly his sister answered.
“Hello” Mary Ann answered anxiously.
“Mary Ann, Elizabeth said you needed me to call you, we just arrived back at her house” Chester responded.
“Thank God you’re safe Frederick! We got a call from a young man named Caleb over in Belgium. I couldn’t speak good French so Alyssa spoke to him. I’ll let you speak with her” Mary Ann said handing Alyssa the phone.
“Uncle Frederick?” Alyssa replied.
“I’m here, go on…” Chester listened carefully.
“Caleb says a man by the name of Gaspar was in the pub the night you guys left and was talking about coming after all of you here” Alyssa mentioned.
“What!?” Chester almost panicked.

“Yes, he doesn’t know where we live… does he?” Alyssa asked with much concern.
“No, I’ve never brought him over...even when we were supposedly friends…something kept me from letting him get that close. I’m glad I trusted my instinct” Chester breathed deeply.
“Uncle, why is he tailing you?” Alyssa asked.
“I don’t know… I think he’s working for someone else now. They tried to abduct Tintin before we left Antwerp and grabbed Enzo instead…luckily they let him go” Chester tried to explain.
“Why didn’t you tell us this?” Alyssa asked with much concern.
“I was hoping it was just a minor run-in, but obviously not. Listen Alyssa, if you see a stocky man close to my height, bald or with a black bandana he wears, be very cautious and call the police immediately” Chester warned.
“You’re scaring me Uncle Frederick” Alyssa didn’t like her uncle’s tone of voice picking up instantly that he was serious.
“Don’t be frightened, just be wary and vigilant. Hopefully since Tintin is gone they won’t bother you, again, be wary of any stranger who claims to be a friend or who seems to be watching you” Chester advised.
“Should I tell mum?” Alyssa asked.

“Yes…” Chester sighed.
“Mum’s right here, I got to finish folding clothes Uncle, please be careful” Alyssa pleaded.
“Yes dear…” he trailed off as Alyssa handed the phone back to her mother.
“So your first mate’s back for revenge is it?” Mary Ann asked already knowing about who Gaspar was.
“I don’t know…we had a minor scuffle back in Antwerp before we left” Chester repeated.
“I heard, well don’t worry, I will tell my husband and Nathan, we got something that will light up their life should they make the mistake of coming to visit us” Mary Ann said laughing.
“I’m glad to hear that, if you do see Gaspar, don’t take him lightly…he’s a very dangerous man” Chester warned.
“Understood brother, we’ll you have good night, tell Elizabeth hello, and give baby Rachel a hug and kiss for me” Mary Ann concluded.
“Good Nite Mary” Chester said hanging up the phone. Chester turned around to see Elizabeth standing in the doorway of the kitchen and living room with a shocked look on her face.

“So the boogeymans back?” she muttered remembering her father tell her some horror stories about his old treacherous first mate. She remembered seeing him one time when she was a teen during a visit with her father. His evil eyes sent shudders through her entire being. She told her father she thought he was evil. During her visits with her father, she would always dress up as a boy so no one would get any ideas, but even that didn’t always guarantee her safety. The older she became, the more difficult it was to hide her beauty.

“I’m afraid so… but don’t worry, he doesn’t know where you live or your Aunt Mary Ann lives,” Chester said putting both of his hands up.
“Hopefully pray tell he never finds out…” Elizabeth said covering her mouth running to her father as Chester protectively embraced her.
“Don’t worry, you have a good husband, I trust he will protect you and Rachel well” Chester said comforting his daughter.
“I’ll talk to Kevin about it after you leave, I don’t want to get him up in arms right now” Elizabeth explained.
“Let’s not let this news ruin our visit” Chester smiled. They returned to the living room and joined Enzo and Kevin who were already half-way finished with their hot cocoa laughing.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 01-26-2013 at 12:57 AM..