View Single Post
Esmme
See you later, Cole. "How do you know?"

Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 AM

"Easier said than done,"Fenris rasped, shaking his head. His anger was a huge factor for him. It typically drove him through everything, including daily encounters. It was difficult for him to regain a sense of mind, let alone keep himself on the straight and narrow path. He ignored the comments about Laiden, for he didn't want to talk about the subject any longer.

Scarlett slowly began to describe the route they needed to take. Fenris made notes on the map that he had with him silently, watching and listening as directions were both shown and given. By the "end" of the map, he raised a pale brow. She was at least a bit intelligent. She would have to be kept alive until she gave up the remainder of the treasure's location. "Then perhaps the next time we meet, I won't need to pry the information from your lips." His gray eyes moved up to find her redressing in her wet clothing. He could see sweat beading on her brow, and knew that it wasn't water. She was getting sick. Or, perhaps she had already been sick and this event just sent her over the edge of wellness.

His initial reaction to Scarlett's request for rum was a growl. Of course not. But the pain on her face made him hesitate. Instead of pulling away from the cage as she neared, he felt her lean against the bars that he was still leaning against. She was still shivering.

"I do hope this treasure brings you the happiness you've been longing for."
"Do you always assume the best of everyone?" Fenris finally pulled back, the map in one hand. Her farewell comment made the tall male sigh, a frown returning to his features. Could treasure bring him any amount of happiness? He liked to believe so. "Just sit tight." He left as swiftly as the tossing of the ship allowed, heading first to his bunk. He dug through his things before finding a clean, long-sleeved black shirt. After that, he went for the kitchen storage. He soon found a bottle of rum, taking it with him as he headed for the cell. Why am I doing this?

Fenris returned, finding Scarlett leaning against the bars weakly. "Don't waste it," he said, slipping the bottle through to her. He glared at her, passing over the shirt as well. "And don't let yourself get sick." Or, more sick. He snorted, backed away, and headed for the main deck to find Marquet. Despite his supposedly angry demeanor, her words flit through his mind.

"Just tell them I told you it. Please, Fenris."

When he reached the main deck, the dark-skinned male motioned for the captain's attention. "Captain," he said over the noise of the now-violent storm. He kept the map safe under the leather of his jerkin, but it wouldn't remain undamaged forever. "I need to speak with you below deck once you have the time."
-

Joseph watched Fenris enter the large room. From the top bunk he saw the male rummage through his belongings, withdraw a shirt, and head back the way he'd come. Laiden said nothing; he didn't even move. If anything, he hoped Fenris wouldn't notice his presence. Many moments after his companion had left, the teen slowly lowered his bare feet to the floor. He had one pair of spare clothing, so he dug them out and swiftly changed.
Dry, but not completely content, Laiden found his way to Codette's bunk. He stared at it for a few moments, mesmerized by the fact that this woman reminded him so much of his family. She had the same warmth that he couldn't expect to find from Fenris. Thinking nothing further, Joseph went back to his things and found his blanket and pillow. He pulled them down, headed for the bunk above Codette's, and tossed his things up there.
Within moments, he was resting in the new cot, watching the door for movement.