View Single Post
Jeryck
NPC
NPC

Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM

The Legend of Celes Paradi

Hundreds of years ago, on the island of Merkhet that lies a long voyage away from Menewsha, its three finest ladies of the time were contemplating their own boredom. The eldest of the three suggested a contest, of sorts. Each lady would use the servants of her household to put on the grandest show they could for the citizens of the city, using a full day and a full night to do so.

"But who could possibly judge such a thing?" asked the youngest lady.

"The Sun and Moon will be our judges," the eldest lady said.

"But what happens in the event of a tie?" the youngest asked again.

"The Morning Star, who always sits in the sky, shall be the tie-breaker," decided the third lady.

The Celestials, overhearing the conversation, sent a shooting star through the sky to tell the ladies that they agreed to be judges. "You have a day to prepare yourselves!" the star cried before streaking over the horizon. The three ladies drew names from a hat to decide their order and prepared their resources during the course of the next day.

On the first day of their challenge, the eldest lady put on a stately presentation. Her servants were dressed in their finest clothing and made a solemn procession through the streets of Merkhet - carrying representations of the sun during the day and candles to represent the moon at night. They sang songs throughout the day and night, impressing the townsfolk with the pomp and circumstance. The Sun and the Moon were flattered.

On the second day, the youngest lady put on a wild show. Her servants put on colorful, often skimpy costumes and danced through the streets during the day to percussion instruments and then at night, lead the townsfolk to a tall hill for a giant bonfire, around which more dancing ensued. The townsfolk were delighted. The Sun and the Moon were entertained.

On the third day, the third lady held a grand feast. Her servants handed out treats to the townsfolk during the day and at night, she held a banquet by torchlight, inviting everyone to partake. The townsfolk were grateful. The Sun and Moon were impressed.

On the fourth day was the judging. The three ladies and their servants gathered at twilight in the city square to hear the results of their efforts. The townsfolk waited curiously - they had enjoyed all three days of the festival and couldn't imagine who had won.

"We have conferred," spoke the Morning Star - acting as mediator as the Moon was losing power and the Sun had not quite gained enough. "I shall let them speak for themselves."

"For my choice, I selected the youngest lady. I enjoyed the good fun," spoke the Sun.

"As for myself," whispered the Moon, "I choose the eldest lady, for her elegance."

"And so the choice comes to me," said the Morning Star. The ladies and the townspeople waited for the tie-breaker. "...I was most fond of the feast..." The ladies and townspeople were unable to help themselves from breaking into excited or confused mutterings. But the Morning Star continued. "So we three agreed that the first loser would be the one who did not repeat their performance. So that the ladies may live as long as that takes, they will be elevated to minor goddesses. The last lady to put on a performance and her supporters shall be rewarded handsomely." Everyone started talking excitedly again. "Until such time," the Morning Star said, with some irritation, "Please do not call upon us to judge."

Ever since, the townsfolk have determinedly put on the same event every year - and no lady's group has missed a year yet.

In time, the three Ladies came to be called "Song", "Dance" and "Feast" and forgot their mortal names entirely. As their roles consumed their lives, it also consumed their mortality - making them goddesses of their names in truth. But you have only to be so lucky as to attend one of their Celes Paradi celebrations to know that!

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 11-25-2014 at 02:20 AM..