View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 PM

As expected, the food wasn't even anywhere near delicious. But still she ate it, chewing each bite at least good twenty times or more before swallowing. At his fumbling explanation about heating food, she looked at Mannik with slightly confused expression and then told him that it's fine. It's not like the food would get all that better when hot. She sincerely doubted anything could make it really edible.

Why did he go explaining all these things? In fact, why did he do everything to make her feel comfortable, like hand over his only plate for her? Was it because Commander had told him so sternly to treat her nicely or he was as good as someone from Below could be? Shiver ran down woman's spine remembering gun at her temple and harsh voice. Could someone doing that could truly be nice? Zenon Descended, too, but she also wouldn't go as far as to call him good. Zen wasn't bad either, he was just... Well, him.

She thanked him quietly (out of reflexes, rather than actually being thankful) for cup of water and picked it up, enjoying how the liquid soothed her dry throat and lips. It wasn't as delicious as the one she drank Above, but she certainly appreciated it a lot more right now. Adelmar thought it must be stress that made her so thirsty now. Her hand clenched cup tighter when he began talking about how her people didn't know anything, but she set it down with composed movement and continued to eat in same slow manner, only now her eyes were set on her captor.

Mannik continued to talk and she came to conclusion he was rather chatty fellow. And he was somehow... confused about her? No, that was wrong word, but she couldn't find better one. Did she contradict his opinion about royal girl from Above, hm? Was she supposed to throw a tantrum and wail? Well, he wouldn't see such display of despair and weakness from her. She wanted to spit something at him, perhaps that she couldn't know in detail what little thieving rats took from her city, but figured that he wasn't worth it.

Then he changed the subject, again shifting towards how comfortable she was or wasn't. She let him finish and then shrugged nonchalantly:"Given the situation, this place will suffice." Really, what else she could say? Go and demand a luxurious bed with soft mattress and silken covers? It's as if he was mocking her. Maybe that's what he really was doing, too.

"And contrary to what you may believe, I am not out for blood of Below's people. I have no reason to harm a mere child," she continued, a little insulted by assumption she would do such a thing. "By all logical means, it would only worsen my life quality down here. And I would like to point out that for my dead body you will get nothing but open war from Hadars." Her mouth twitched then, as if these words had hurt her somehow. "I do wonder why you would be appointed as a teacher, Mr. Mannik, but of course, it is not my place to judge your suitability for such role." She paused, as if contemplating something, before continuing: "However if you wish to keep them safe from my 'stupid actions', then you should tell me what could endanger them." She kept his gaze for a moment and then returned to finishing her meal calmly. Of course, he would probably list 'escaping' or 'holding a child as hostage' as some of those actions, or maybe those were the only ones.

Last edited by sadrain; 02-03-2014 at 10:58 PM..