View Single Post
Arc Angel
Sure, I'll play with you-- in exchange for your immortal soul.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:51 AM

Kiernan sat quietly as she approached, eyes focused in on his bare hand in contemplation as his gloved one rested calmly beneath it. His eyes only lifted as she spoke up, almost surprised to hear her voice. I drifted off... Eyes locked on her for a moment, he studied what little he could see of her face under the darkened shade of her hood, picturing what he remembered of her features in place of what couldn't be seen. Then, realizing he hadn't spoken, he lips parted then closed firmly. It was an abstract question that he wasn't sure of how to handle, and one he normally wouldn't have bothered to face. Yet...

As she admitted what he had been piecing together since their first encounter, he allowed a small grin slide back into his lips. It was painstakingly obvious that she wasn't from these parts, if not from her broken speech and appearance, then from her lack of cultural understanding. Not that that is a fall back. Her genuine quality drew some wonder from him as she apologized for her questions, at which his facial expression finally softened once more. Apology in his eyes as they rested on her gently, he shook his head firmly. "Your questions are honestly no trouble to me. They raise my own questions, but I have no problem with answering the questions you have for me." He spoke firmly, sure of himself though he was not sure of whether he could answer all of her questions. "Granted I can," he then added, a boyish playfulness touching his voice once again.

"As for magic..." He sighed softly, then chuckled, hesitance clear, "I'm not sure of where to begin. It's a sort of natural extension of your own senses and abilities. Some hone it with reading, others with spiritual practices, but many by physical training. The most common type, as I mentioned, is used for fighting. It's destructive magic." He tried to speak plainly, in hopes that she could follow and he may clear up some of her confusion. "It can be performed by anyone that is enough at peace with themselves to control it, and is summoned through actions, words, or otherwise. Soldiers are required to use it, but healers and scholars are also skilled with it. The general public may also use it in daily life, though it is not often strong in untrained hands."

He paused there as a young boy brought them each a glass of water. Taking the glass gratefully, Kiernan took a drink and wait for a response or further questions from her.