View Single Post
Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 11-12-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi View Post
Ferra! I think it's awesome that you're teaching in Japan!! :) Can you share some stories? What's been the best and worst experiences thus far?
Hey! Long time no chat!! How have you been? I think it's awesome that you've already gotten your Master's and will be working in counseling/therapy someday.

Really, there have been way too many good experiences for me to list. As for the "worst", well it was certainly scary in the wake of the disaster on 3/11. I was quite near the epicenter so the earthquake felt incredibly strong and the coastline of my city (my home and work were thankfully very far inland) was completely washed away.

But even in the aftermath of something so horrible, I felt like I got to see the best of people. Everyone lined up in an orderly fashion the next few weeks as stores started to come back to life. Utilities were restored at amazing speeds: I had electricity/internet back the next night! Water was a week or so later and gas was about a month later. People were friendly and helpful. I had people thank me for just staying and not abandoning Japan like so many other foreigners did. I felt a wave of local pride as I walked past signs in every shop that said "ganbarou!!" (roughly translated as "let's keep fighting!") It was a really humbling experience. I regret that such a terrible thing happened, but I'm glad I was there to see the rebound.

On a different note, I've also fallen in love with a great guy I met here too. <3