View Single Post
KageShio
Warning: Unrestrained Audiophile

Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 AM

Hello Ladies, is there room for a male gypsy here? I can do acrobatics, dance, sing and I'm pretty handy with making things.

Also, as long as we are here, how about a quick history lesson on gypsies? I noticed you seem to be focusing on the middle-eastern "belly dance" gypsies, only one of the many types of gypsy. There are Romani people living everywhere from Egypt to Brazil.

The Roma(Romani), or Gypsies as they are more commonly called today, are thought to have originally come from Tibet , but being the nomads they are, they spread over most of Asia and the middle-east, down into northern Africa. Later they traveled north, up into all of Europe and eventually from there over the seas to middle-America, moving further south to most of South America and north to the southern parts of North America during the last decades of the great gypsy caravans.

Romani influences can still be seen world-wide, and in more than just at your local Renaissance Faire. The lively dances of Russia, Turkey and Hungry are partially shaped by the ever-changing folk dances of the Roma. Flamenco music, clothing and dancing was spawned from the Roma, and the Cajun culture is also said to be derived from them.

Just as the Roma influenced the world as they passed through it, they adopted parts of every culture they became a part of, thus no two clans were ever alike.

A few interesting facts:

-The bangle-covered vests and sashes were originally from the Turks, not India.
-April 8th is officially called Gypsy day
-The Roma people have a flag, anthem and language, even though they have no one country of their own
-The first world Romani congress was held in London, 1791
-Words for the Roma in other countries: latin-Cingarus, Turkey-Cingeneler, France-Tsiganes, Germany-Zinger, Russia-Cjganji, Hungary-Ciganjiok, Italy-Zingari, Spain-Gitanos.

Pictures of Romani around the world: Indian Russian Spanish Turkish 1 Turkish 2 Fancy Male Turkish Male Turkish Generic European Indian Male

Yea, these are all costumes, but they still give a good look into the different styles of Roma clothing. It is very hard to find actual images of traditional Romani dress. And it's hard to find pictures of male Roma :(

I hope some you all find this interesting!

Last edited by KageShio; 07-10-2010 at 06:30 AM..