View Single Post
Jeryck
NPC
NPC

Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 PM

This is an excerpt from The Book of Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, and Legends of Menewsha: Volume IV (Fairy and Folk Tales), compiled by and re-written by literary historian, Sir Cassian Keane the Third.

The Dragon and the Fox

My father's father said his father told him this tale, so now I'll tell it to you! But he was quite the shady fellow, so who's to say it's true?

Once a hearted fox and a dragon met to play. They danced around and swam the sea and did so almost every day.

"What fun this is!" the dragon cried, his eyes so bright and gay. "Indeed," the hearted fox replied, since there seemed nothing else to say.

And what a sight it would have been were we there to see! Who wouldn't like a dragon so green or a fox as white as she?

As with all, the years pass, as much as we try to keep them at bay. But the time had come for the dragon to go far away.

"My mum says I must take my place as a Guardian to us all!" His friend the fox replied, "I'll go with you, for alone, this life would pall."

"I'd like that, my bonny friend!" the dragon was quick to speak. "But the Guardians say that those who need others to be happy must be weak."

"How foolish these great dragons are - that they choose to live apart! Don't they know they greatest strength lies in following your heart?"

The fox's coat then changed from white to black and then she ran away. And try as he might, her friend couldn't call her back and say what he meant to say.

With sadness, the dragon went where he was bid. He learned many things and became strong - only his loneliness he hid.

'Til such time as the Great War was upon us all. It devoured everyone and everything - be they large or be they small.

"Let us send forth our greatest Guardian," the leaders of the dragons decreed. And our friend, now warrior, went where there was need.

The Great War he conquered - the Great War he subdued. The King and Queen were grateful; the warrior smiled and went away to brood.

"I'm unhappy with this life. All I want is my friend." And he looked down the beach - to see the fox at the end!

"I knew you'd think of me once more!" the hearted fox sang with great delight. And her coat shed the black and turned once more to white!

"The Guardians may have their way on where to send me and when - but this dragon will never be apart from the white fox - his friend!"

And what had the dragons to say about all this fuss - what measure did they decide? Well, I saw a dragon once, and on his shoulder a gleaming white fox happily did ride!

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 11-25-2014 at 02:19 AM..