View Single Post
p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 PM

She'd thought she wouldn't be surprised, but when Corynn confirmed that she was in fact a mind reader, by her commentary on Nixie's camping trip, Nixie raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Well, my hair was a little singed and I had to get a bob," she replied. "But the eyebrows were the worst part." She grimaced.

Caleb was jealous, making a hallucination bug excuse. So he hadn't noticed anything different about himself? Nixie had begun assuming that this study was much more than watching a group of people for various reasons. She had a feeling that Caleb would start noticing differences in himself soon, very soon.

And Corynn was a mind reader then. That was, kind of... awesome! Nixie wished she could do that. But wait. She had done that. When Corynn touched her, she was sure of it. All those voices that Nixie had thought sounded something like a talk show, or a busy cafeteria or something.

She'd been in her own thoughts during the siblings' exchange, and waited her turn to speak. Low self esteem and little confidence kept Nixie from ever being one to interrupt or butt-in. "Corynn," she said after Caleb's pout, "I think you can transfer that, too, to other people," she said. "When you touched me a moment ago, I could hear them, too. The others' thoughts."

"I can't hear them now though," she added as an afterthought. "Maybe you could touch Caleb, and let him hear," before he cries about not having a power, she added jokingly in her mind, unsure if Corynn would catch it without knowing Nixie was still talking to her.

She glanced at the brother. "Caleb, maybe you could try to just, calm down, and focus..." Nixie looked at her bare toes after that. She couldn't imagine Caleb being someone who liked being told what to do, or even given suggestions. Much less told to calm down.

"Or something," she added quietly. She peered up through her bangs. "I think you'll have a power, too," she tried to clarify. Nixie looked to Corynn, "I think that's what this... study... is about. We've all been given some kind of, power." She looked to be in thought now. "But why?" And why were they branded? And why couldn't they see the outside world or contact their families?

Nixie looked back towards LTB. The sun was setting, and while she typically found those to be beautiful, this one scared her. Sunset meant it would soon be dark. And darkness, and LTB felt a little too hand-in-hand. She didn't want to go back in there. The thought of it made her heart rate pick up.

Calm down, Nix, she told herself, knowing that if she let it, panic would take her. That was never a good thing for Nixie. Panic attacks meant blacking out, and blacking out meant looking more like a weak little weirdo and, at LTB, who knew what. All the while, energy was building up in her clenched fists once again.