View Single Post
Esmme
See you later, Cole. "How do you know?"

Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 AM

"You're bold in assuming I want to experience the things that you do." Cain's blue eyes met Odessa's as she continued her teasing. He looked calm on the outside, but those eyes ... he looked so annoyed. As though he were the adult looking a child who had just chewed something important, or done something incredibly foolish. "I don't miss anything."

Though it was obvious that Cain was irritated, he also listened with a kind of sincerity and focus that took in the very way she moved her lips. He was always like that - always observing, taking in everything she did as though it was all letters in a book. By the time Odessa looked back down at her tea, the tall male had managed to lean against the table, resting his elbows on the smooth surface. To observers, he looked relaxed - intense, but at least he didn't stand out for his uncomfortable demeanor.

Cain met the woman's gaze as she looked back at him. That was another of his quirks. He never avoided meeting Odessa's gaze, and often looked more dominant than ever when he looked at her.

"The city is a better place to linger than the abandoned structures beyond the limits." Cain tilted his head slightly, as if disappointed that she hadn't come to that conclusion already. His disappointment thickened as he continued. "Civilization, despite its obvious flaws, is far more convenient than the wilds. I don't have a burning desire to live as a native of the land." His tone was so dry, it was almost difficult to detect the dry sarcasm in his next statement. "Nor do I wish to lure people of a more curious nature to their death without a way to charge their surrogate bodies."

Slowly, his annoyance seemed to fade. Just as quickly as it had flared up, it drifted off. Cain reached forward, taking the cup of tea from Odessa and scenting it briefly. As of yet, she hadn't seen him eat. She'd barely seen him drink anything. It was as though he thought such things were "below him," as he seemed to view so many things in life.

Cain felt a frown tug at his brow, and he took a sip of the Oolong tea. His expression never wavered as he set it down on the table once again.

"If you disappeared," Cain's gaze returned to the auburn-haired woman, "I wouldn't go looking for you. It was your challenge that brought me here, Odessa." Cold. But honest.

As he spoke, Cain's gaze had softened slightly, as though the look on his face might lighten the blow of his harsh words. Or perhaps the shift was due to her velvety, tempting tone. Either way, the male kept his gaze locked on Odessa. Reaching forward, cold fingers brushed the woman's cheek as Cain's tone hardened.

"I don't like being pushed to action."

Last edited by Esmme; 01-18-2014 at 03:30 AM..