View Single Post
AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 AM

As comfortable in the rigging as she was in bed, she settled in her spot there, her booted foot looped easily in one rope, her hip resting another. Her fingers gently touched the rope scar around her neck. It was invisible to the naked eye- well healed over so many years later.

But still there.

She was brought from her thoughts by the rough breathing of one of the Marines. Padraig. The red head. She was a little impressed that he had made it up so quickly, and it showed in her eyes.

Perhaps he'd make a sailor yet. As he spoke she nodded patiently, letting his words sink in. She was angry- angry about the whole damn thing... but most of it was likely misdirected.

"I know Pata well, Paddy. It's me 'ome as'well." She said, looking over the stars and planets. "Fer the ferst twelve years of me life I ne'er knew anything beyond the sowing of the fields and pickin' in the fields." She let her accent roll smoothly off her tongue- it wasn't very different from his own, with it's own lilt of the apple-picekers and potato men.

"Deal, Paddy. Wot's on teh road behin' us is long gone, and it's a foggy road a'ead." Common enough saying on Pata- he'd know it as well.

"Ye're handy in the riggin', mate. Show off too much more and I'll 'ave you up 'ere on a more permanent basis. Do me a kindness though? Don't disrespect me in front of me men. It's hard enough werk keeping them in line without resortin' to the lash, and they're already grumblin' about this trip."

The trip. No taking of enemy cargo, no extra money skimmed off the top. She'd given the men the option not keep with their contract with her. Some had taken the offer- times were rough, and they might be able to make better money elsewhere.

The loyal, or honor-bound, had stayed, and worked quietly in the corners, wishing in vain that they would find some opportunity for further treasure. Only the most loyal knew the true path they were on.

The ship shook once, and then slowly began to ascend, the sails filling around them as they started to glide away from the star system.