View Single Post
Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 AM

Weddings Around the World

We wanted a chance to celebrate Vicky's and the Mayor's wedding around the world! So this contest is for group entries but needs to focus on wedding attire from around the globe. This contest needs at least two entry participants, but is open to as many as wanted in a group entry. A reference picture is mandatory in this contest, and some information regarding the customs pictured is also needed.

Weddings Around the World
Username:
Image of our Group's Entry:
Tell Me About These Customs:
Reference Pictures:

Quote:
[size=4][color=magenta][b]Weddings Around the World[/b][/color][/size]
[B]Image of our Group's Entry:[/B]
[B]Tell Me About These Customs:[/B]
[B]Reference Pictures:[/B]
[/b]
Entries:

(Mythos/Cora/Seito/~LONGCAT~)
Tell Me About These Customs: We chose to present some Scottish traditions!
The first is "the Blackening of the Bride" is where--
Quote:
The bride and groom are slathered from head to toe in every disgusting substance their friends can get their hands on. Curdled milk, rotten eggs, spoiled curry, fish sauces, mud, flour, sausages, every nasty thing you can imagine. As if that weren’t enough, the couple is then paraded about, with well-wishers making as much noise as possible. Depending on the region, sometimes it’s just the bride or groom alone who is the victim of this particular pre-wedding tradition.
Second is Hand fasting where the lovers hands are tied together with ribbon to symbolize their being bound to one another in the act of marriage.

Additionally, the groom and his groomsman are wearing traditional Scottish formal dress~

Reference Pictures:
1 - 2 - 3

Image of our Group's Entry:GwenaHikari:EirianHikari
Tell Me About These Customs: Traditional Japanese weddings are Shinto weddings, held at shrines. Brides wear shiromuku (traditional white kimono), men wear montsuki (a black formal kimono), Haori, Hakama. Introduction to a Traditional Japanese Wedding
Reference Pictures:Ref image 1
[/b]Ref image 2

Username: bloodstainedwings, Nephila, Xogizmoox, neller, fireprincess, Ascadellia

Tell Me About These Customs:
Nikah is a Muslim marriage. It is the signing of a "solemn and sacred social contract" that is agreed by both the groom and bride. A trustworthy Muslim, such as a Qadi (a state appointed Muslim judge), officiants the Nikah ceremony. Traditionally, the bride will wear a red gharga and the groom will wear a white sherwani. In the days leading up to the wedding, close friends of the bride (typically all women) will go to the bride's home where they will dance and sing all night. This is known as a dohlki, and can last a night, a few days, or even a week! During the dohlki, the women will bake sweets and cover the bride in ubtan, a mixture of minerals and oils used to lighten the bride's skin. This will sometimes lead to ubtan/food fights.
Reference Pictures:
Bride Groom Qadi Dohlki-1 2 3 Ubtan

Last edited by DariaMorgendorfer; 08-07-2014 at 01:44 AM..