View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM

"At my mercy, huh?" Zenon drawled, his attention now fully on her as he shifted in his seat to face the woman. It seemed that even now, already having left the house, she did not seem too eager to reach her wonder-boy and it made him quite pleased. It was not often that Zenon felt like he actually needed to compete with anyone, mostly he took the first spot, leading position with ease. No matter if it was raids, partying, sports, even scores with women. And yet here he was, jealous over the loyalty and care Mannik-kid inspired in Sarah. He knew it went well beyond just the fact he was important to her goals (which still made his hackles rise, in all honesty, as did their supposed blood-relation).

Well, it would be wrong to say he was being jealous right now, since Sarah was taking up pretty much all of his thoughts. His thumb was drawing patterns on back of her palm while the other caressed its way up her arm, to cradle back of her neck as he pulled her closer. "I may need time to exploit such a chance," Zenon murmured at her lips, but instead of giving her the kiss she (they both) craved, he chose to kiss corner of her mouth, trailing further away to her ear, then neck. Damn this confined space, though even small seats of ship could be used cleverly, if one had enough incentive.

He pressed her deeper in the soft seat, as it quietly hissed, leaning backward, and moved to loom over her with predatory grin, one arm by her head, knee between hers, only now untangling the hands they were holding - his went to rest on her hip, holding her in place and also working its way under the hem of her shirt. Zenon didn't know how long they had 'till she'd put a stop to it, so he was going to enjoy every second. Despite her invitation, he had no intention of crossing borders she would put down.

She knew she should withdraw her hand, she had to, but it stayed firmly where she had grasped his wrist. His skin felt warm under her own slightly cool fingers and it was somehow comforting, grounding. Even when she had to go up against the very person offering this grounding. "I would explain now, if I could," Adelmar insisted. There were too many ears around right now, some she may not even be aware of and those already had too much information to feast on - if there indeed were any present.

Though her gaze remained unwavering, having regained the steely firmness and determination Mannik may recognize from their first encounters, a certain pained hollowness flashed through it when he said he would not approve of whatever would come to light in two weeks' time. He truly will not, will he? If... If anything at all was as his half-words implied, he would not look happily onto her wedding a man he despised. Even if it was for his sake. His people. And why did it so keenly hurt in her chest, to think of the hurt that would be on his face when he heard the news, to imagine him avoiding to look or speak with her once she became Mrs. Hadar?

Was it all, her instinctive need to reach out to him, the concern for his well-being running deeper and deeper with each month, the half-realized, foggy fantasy of something in back of her mind, truly the mark of... the word she did not think she would have in this world? And, yet, even on the brink of this realization, she stared back at him, unyielding.

"It will not happen again, yes. Because I am to have protection when these two weeks are up. By people I think we can trust. We will have to trust, as they will have to trust." By 'we' she meant more than herself and Zenon, the two that she had met only briefly would be the key connections between Above and Below at times, the few who would be aware of many truths. And though there were no one she truly trusted in this world, not even Zenon with all his flighty nature, not even herself anymore as her grasp on logic and emotions seemed to become weaker and weaker, she thought she could find something alike trust, based in respect for their professionalism and seemingly aligned goals, in the blonde twins.

"I told you, I was foolish to come here alone like this. It could have waited." The words were heavy on her tongue, though inwardly Adel was relieved she had managed to hide the severity of tonight's events from Mannik. If this was his reaction from little he knew, what would he do if he knew the full truth?

"So, please, do not endanger your people more than necessary. Though, if it gives you peace of mind, I will agree to their watch until I can explain the full situation to you and my future bodyguards can attend to me. Perhaps they will be put on duty earlier, in light of tonight. Will that appease you?"

In fact, she realized, perhaps she should have called them, made them clean up this mess, instead of falling headfirst in her anxiety and seeking some calming reassurance from Mannik which had made this all snowball beyond anything she could have expected. But he had a habit of doing that, did he not?

"I suppose we have to wait for Zenon now," she added, finally pulling her hand away from him, slowly and regretfully even. "Perhaps your men should clear out before he comes or they may want to pick a fight with him. I am still less hated than he is among Below, after all." Self-depreciating smile crossed her face and then it fell. "Are you going to leave now, too?" she asked, hating a little how her voice grew quieter. What right did she have to wish him stay here, when she had already been so selfish? None at all. But hearts are the most selfish of all, after all.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~