View Single Post
AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM

Eve grit her teeth as they all spoke. Sunday could not come quick enough- with such a small crew, liberty day was a different affair altogether.

They'd see that tomorrow though. As Padraig spoke, she answered quickly- but tripped over her own accent.

Damn him.

"I'll show ye- you- the top deck. No one should ever miss the launching of a ship. You all will be missing land here shortly enough. But stay out of the way of my crew. They do not need your help just at the moment, and I'll not have ye interrupting their work. Follow me." Damn him, damn him, damn him.

Turning on her heel, she led the way back to the stairwell, and up three flights of stairs without breaking her stride, her boots making no sound as she lightly climbed. Emerging at a door, she threw it open and stormed onto the deck.

It was a bustle of activity. A half dozen men and women worked- most in jeans and rolled up sleeves- all under the careful guide of the First Mate.

Nearly as tall as the Marines (who the Captain left behind as soon as she came on deck)- he was a wide man, cutting an impressive figure. His dark skin shined in the light of the twin stars.

"Captain." He offered a nod and a salute as she joined him. "I expect we'll be sailing soon.

"Mr. Mitchell, you have done a textbook job, as always." She lowered her voice, frowning. "Can you babysit the Marines and make sure that they don't fall off the sides?"

"Going aloft, Ma'am?" He asked, his booming voice not sounding the least bit surprised.

"Always, Mr. Mitchell." She answered. In a blink of an eye she was up in the rigging, climbing with an ease that would impress most sailors. She ignored the ladders, her rough hands grabbing the rigging as she went up, up, and up.

It was nice, up in the quiet and deep in the stars. She had always loved heights- even as a child. When she was twelve she had been taken to work in the orchards.

Until she ran away, of course, to join a pirate crew. But that was another story for another time. She touched the air bubble that surrounded the ship, keeping them well supplied with oxygen and gravity.

Yes- that was a story for a much different time.