View Single Post
Chrysothemis
Eternal Lurker

Old 11-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Dear ___,

I know you're still reeling from the hurricane so I won't even try to bring this up to you in person, but it's been almost two years since you've contacted me. You've replied to my texts, sure, a few days after I've sent them, but you used to be so big on reaching out to me and organizing Skype chat nights. Ever since I've moved, you've gone practically radio silent, and I hate it.

But what I hate even more was your reaction to me moving. "Well, at least Orlando is a good place to be homeless in." were your exact words, if memory serves. No matter how many times I tried to point out that I had a home promised there, you argued that it would be taken away. You don't know my boyfriend's mother, but you spoke of her eagerness to get rid of me with such conviction. You also told me my boyfriend would get tired of me, and search for a better girlfriend in a larger city. What did I say to make you distrust him? And you, you college educated woman, why are you so against me going to university myself? "You could go to the community college in town, and get an apartment there." was your counter, as if we somehow lived in an area that wasn't a redneck infested dying town. (Also why would I move out... only to stay within an hour from my parents?)

Honestly, if you were sad to see me go, that's ok. we've both shared the misery of losing friends to better towns, but you didn't have to construct bogeymen to try and scare me away from leaving. All that did was make me resentful. I miss talking to you, but you made it so hard to try and reconnect. I get that losing a friend's presence sucks, but really, are you actually losing that much? You lived so far out of town from me that most of our communications were via text. We could have made things work, easily.

I know you've spent a lot of time playing off of me being the 'stupid young fangirl' friend to your more mature and wizened self image, but I need to grow up, and I don't see why that should involve cutting off contact with you. But it's exhausting being the one trying to keep the friendship alive all on my own. You were my only friend for a while, and I don't want to take all you've done for me for granted.

I just want my friend back.