View Single Post
YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 03-18-2024, 01:58 AM

Leading a descent of dozens of guardians, Cecilia neared the ground. She frowned when she saw the barrier. When Solias came into view, she raised a hand and broke formation to meet him.

"Solias, thank you for your condolences," she said. "I will stand down on the note of bloodshed and not let my grievances get the better of me."

"The rest of my cause for visit is unfortunately also official business. Specifically," She lifted her tech watch and read from a hologram. "To recover the soul of Highrose's late commander, charge the second-in-command of Highrose with treason, and rehabilitate the fledgling guardian that the second-in-command took hostage." She closed the hologram. "I appreciate your concern for keeping the natural flora, fauna, and ground-dwelling inhabitants of the area safe from indiscriminate harm," she said with a dry smile. "However, I hope it will not infringe on official business? As for the winged traitor and his hostage, if they are unwilling to cooperate..." Nearby and just within earshot, her colleague Beatrice grimaced.

Cecilia withdrew a small grey stone from her pocket that materialized into a grey orb of light. Typically, she brought a magic weapon of this sort with her that reflected the color of her hair, just like the orb of light her brother wielded. Decades of academic research had led her to that flavor of magic that ultimately became favorites of both she and her brother.

However, while this orb was similar in that it could catalyze magic in combat, it was void of color and looked almost sickly in contrast to the glowing hue of Cecilia's hair and her other magic creations. Moreover, unlike her brother's weapon, it was unable to record and replay as part of reconnaissance. Instead, this weapon was capable of combat and memory manipulation: to suppress, force out, or limit its creation. It could do no permanent damage without significant augmentation from other restricted weapons and techniques, and it required huge amounts of energy from its wielder in order to be channeled at all.

Even with those constraints, its potential for cognitive chaos was serious enough that it was kept secret such that only commanders and higher-ups like Solias were even allowed to know of its true nature. As soon as it was created the weapon was confiscated with further research prohibited, but in rare political catastrophes like this it still found use.

"Then I will need to use some force to encourage compliance."

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Seamus and Mars had taken flight to return to the cabin when the barrier rose. They were both close enough to its source, and perceptive enough, to notice immediately. Mars looked back out of suspicion but Seamus merely glanced upward before continuing ahead.

Mars relaxed, seeing that her partner had returned to her usual serious devotion to work. "Who's Keeghan? It sounds like he knew Solias. And what was that about a dream?"

Seamus slowly nodded once. "He was my immortal guardian, and alongside a few others he sought unity with the shinigami. I don't know if the 'treaty of old' Solias spoke of was a pact once or if it was just that shared dream."

Mars was silent for a few moments as the wind and trees breezed by. "Is that...why you became a shinigami?"

"Yes."

They touched down near the cabin. Mars could sense her partner's unwillingness to continue the subject but opened her mouth anyway. "What happened to him?"

Seamus continued to walk toward the steps. "He disappeared suddenly, and other than the whisperings of a new Saint above the clouds I haven't heard his name in the hundreds of years since. I assume he was killed for treason, but I fear his fate is worse than that."

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Silas stared at Arael for a moment, and then another. "We have to try," he said, not knowing that he and Jason were in silent agreement. "Right?" he looked up at Rei. "Is there some way I can take on the side effects in his place? Like...instead of giving him your energy, give him mine, and then I could bear the impurity?" He drew a circular motion in the air. "Like musical chairs?"

Gwen twiddled her thumbs and pursed her lips. She had practiced a bit of energy transfer in the past but the task at hand sounded complicated, further beyond her reach than usual. The distinct sound of familiar wings and footsteps near the cabin drew her attention away. She smiled as Seamus and Mars came into view, and scurried toward the doorway to greet them. In unison, she received a pair of smiles back as the two entered the cabin. Also in unison, their smiles faded as they each caught sight of the rest of the crew's mixed expressions surrounding Arael. Mars spoke first.

"What's going on here?"