View Single Post
MusicEmo
Kira

Old 10-27-2016, 02:17 AM

I want to know if I'm the only one that is like this.

Because I faced so much bullying as a child that was thinly veiled as criticism, as an adult I can't take criticism well. It feels like a personal attack, because for so many years it WAS a personal attack.

As you can imagine as an artist I get a lot "well part of art IS criticisms, so if you don't like it, don't draw!!" I even had a substitute art teacher in high school that spend nearly ten minutes lecturing me on how "the point of art is criticism! That's why artists make art! TO BE CRITICIZED!" after I said that I didn't appreciate her yelling across the room to tell me that a picture I spent two weeks on looked "unfinished" because it wasn't colored.

I had re-drawn the movie cover/poster of Silence of the Lambs in graphite and colored pencil. It's a mostly black-n-white picture and she didn't like that. My actual art teacher came in moments after and I asked them their opinion. They said it looked perfect, and it was probably one the best recreations in the class; plus SotLs was one of their favorite movies. The sub was pissed, and if she wasn't afraid of the actual teacher she probably would have yelled at them too.

Like my art is an extension of myself that I draw to either illustrate an idea I have, or character, or show my emotions.. nothing that really needs to be criticized in my opinion, without the original artist asking for it.

I honestly consider unwelcome criticism one of the rudest things someone can do to an artist.

Am I the only one that feels like this?

I also would prefer NOT getting a bunch of messages about "well, if you DON'T like criticism just never show anyone your art!" because honestly that rhetoric is used so much it's disgusting.