View Single Post
Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 AM

Nicole made her way into the barn and up the stairway that lead to her room in the loft. She had long ago been offered a room in the main house, but she loved being near the horses. Their presences and sounds soothed her, especially on the nights that she had trouble sleeping.

She dug her leather duffel bag out of the bottom of the wardrobe in the corner and dropped it on the bed. She looked around her room, her gaze sliding over the familiar battered and mismatched furniture until it came to rest on the nightstand beside her bed. She picked up the picture frame sitting propped up there and sank onto the bed, gazing sadly down at it. The soft rap of knuckles on wood made Nicole look up to see Deshonda standing in the open doorway.

"You miss him don't you Honey Child," Deshonda said, coming to join Nicole on the bed. "Its been two years and you haven't taken a vacation once."

"But the horses need me," Nicole protested defensively.

"They need you and that is why you gots to take care of yo'self," Deshonda said. After a moment of stubborn silence she tried a new tactic. "If he was here what would he tell you to do?" She asked softly.

"Go on the cruise and enjoy myself," Nicole answered softly.

"Then get packin' Honey Child," Deshonda said with a smile. "The limo will be here a fore you know it."

Half an hour later Nicole heard the crunch of tires on the drive, just as she zipped up her bag. She looked around the room one last time, before hefting her duffel bag deftly and heading for the door. She stopped in the barn aisle and looked around. All of the horses were either out in the field for the day or at work on the ranch.

Nicole took a deep breath and squared her shoulders. Mack and especially Deshonda seemed determined to see her go on this cruise. Well she might as well make the best out of it. She walked down the aisle and out into the sunlit yard. The sleek black limo, with Black Suit standing next to it, looked so out of place in the dusty ranch yard. Nicole had to choke back a derisive snort at the sight.

The limo rolled through the streets of Miami Florida, headed for the pier where the cruise ship was berthed. It had been a long day and a half. She had ridden the 3 and a half hours or so with Black Suit to Portland where they had hopped a flight. When they landed in Miami about 8 hours later, Black Suit had hustled her through the airport and into another black limo.

The limo slowed and turned in at the port, driving past slips filled with small boats and yachts until the ships begin to get bigger and bigger. Sail boats and yachts gave way to freighters and ocean liners. Nicole became aware of the muffled din of screaming, cheering people and looked out the window to see them driving towards a berth that was lined on one side with barricades holding back hordes of people.

"What are they all here for?" Nicole asked dryly, as the limo came to a halt. "I hardly think they came to see me."

"They are here to catch a glimpse of the celebrity companions," Black Suit answered crisply, opening the door and stepping out.

"Celebrity companions?" Nicole asked sliding over and climbing out after Black Suit. "What are you talking about?"

Another limo pulled up behind the one that she had just climbed out of as Black Suit stepped to open the door. "Miss McKay, meet your companion for the trip."

Nicole's mild intrigue turned to shock as Tim Foust unfolded his tall frame from the limo. He towered over her 5'7" frame and had to be at least 6'2" though he cowboy boots probably added at least two more inches. Nicole stared up dumbly up at him as the people went crazy and cameras started flashing. One thought was running through Nicole's head, what in blazes have I gotten myself into?