View Single Post
XxZombie.Mama.NephxX
Snakes & Crossbones

Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM

@ The Wandering Poet: Mark Crilley eh... *jots down* I haven't heard of him. I'll check him out. :)
@ xuvrette: I've seen some of those how to draw manga books...they kinda scare me. It's better to use real life as a resource then develop your own style around it than look off someones style and reproduce. Unless Archiving is the kind of art you want to get into learning other styles that isn't your own is detrimental.
@ Mimmu: That's pretty much my way of using tutorials too. I search consume then go about my regular art. Sometimes I find they influence me other not so much.
@ Mythos: Yes that sounds about right with the performance aspect of art.
@ Shadami: Well with all that being said, I'm curious what your portfolio look like? What kind of company's have you been showing your portfolio too? I ask because if your showing a bunch of anime and flower drawings to an advertising firm they'll probably tell you what they have been. "Your good but not what we want" Companies will use the degree thing a lot of the times as an easy way to let you down. I have a degree in Fine Arts myself, however it's not from one of their "recognized authorities" So I often don't even mention it. So yeah just because they use that as an excuse and don't hire you doesn't mean then never do it. XD They just say those things to separate those with drive. I submit my stuff that says "degrees only" all the time. Sometimes I get a rejection letter other times they'll want to see you. Be ruthless in your passions! Your just as good as anyone with a degree.

Also in our industry you have to get to know people and befriend your competition. Unless you want to deal with an agent. *shudder* The more open you are to people about your art passion the more likely they'll remember you or your friends will. The majority of my body of work this year has been tattoo sketches for friends of friends of my friends. I've also done a few water colors for Co-workers parents. I don't know why but this year has been all flowers for me. XD Which is funny because I normally do Erotic or horrific looking commissions over the internet. I guess when you actually know the people you do other things. I prefer freelance over company work because company's will always screw you over, They own you and your works, plus 9-5 isn't me at all, also don't get me started on how . You can make a career out of it if your strong enough without submitting to any company. Heck you could even start one with your friends. It is a very open career path. Don't be frustrated just keep going for it! *glomps*