View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM

CHAPTER 5 (PART - B {conclusion to chapter 5})

It was almost after two O’clock when the three pursuers finally arrived in Antwerp, not long after the big fiasco near the docks. For a couple of hours they waited at the train station for the informant and kept moving from one spot to the other to avoid police suspicion. Not too long afterwards a tall man wearing white skipper’s cap wearing a black trench coat came through as if he was looking for someone. Then he noticed the three standing by a rubbish bin nervously and approached them.

“Mr. Lento?” he said as he approached. “Who are you and how do you know my name?” the Italian guy answered nervously.

“Relax” he said pulling up his sleeve revealing the all-seeing eye insignia.
“Oh sorry signore, are you Gaspar? It’s difficult to know who to trust” he whispered. “No, I am not Gaspar and don’t worry about it, let’s go” Allan said sizing up the two Russians. He led them to a nice black sedan which looked fairly new. They got in and departed the train station. “So I take it you’re the informant?” Lento assumed.

“I’m one of the informants” Allan corrected.
“So you’re an initiate?” Lento asked curiously.
“No, hardly…I joined almost four years ago” Allen said scratching a scar on his weather beaten cheek.
“I have been with them for three years and my associates for two” Lento answered. Allan was quiet for a moment as he glanced at the rear view mirror catching a glance from the taller Russian guy.
“So you must be refugees” Allan commented.

The Russian guys looked surprised, “How do you know” the taller guy demanded. “I make it my business to know who all I associate with, the all-seeing eye demands it” Allan said assertively.
“What’s your story?” the shorter Russian asked.
“I don’t divulge my past to strangers” Allan replied coldly.
“Your manners could be better…” the tall Russian muttered.
“I’ve killed for less…” Allan said unimpressed.
Lento shifted uncomfortably, “So signore, where is Tintin?”
“Out of my way scumbag!” Allan shouted at a careless driver. Lento knew men like Allan and learned to survive longer by not making enemies. He decided to not press the issue and remained quiet.
“When we get where we are going, we will figure that out” Allan nodded. Lento noticed how white his teeth were but didn’t stare. The slowed down at a corner of an intersection and a man dressed in an American petty officer uniform discreetly approached. Allan pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to the man.

“Eight O’clock, meet me there with what I need” Allan instructed.
The petty officer took the envelope, tipped his hat in agreement, and disappeared back among the crowd. Allan quickly drove off until they arrived on the east side of the docks. “Follow me” Allan instructed again as he locked the car up. He led them down a long pier next to a cargo vessel. A couple of similarly dressed men were fishing at the end of the pier. They looked up and once they saw Allan they nodded and continued fishing.

“Catch anything?” Allan asked. Both guys nodded pointing to their empty bucket. “Disgraceful” Allan thought to himself still holding high pride not only in his own skills as a sailor, but also as a fisherman.
“Come on up the gangway!” Allan prompted his three guests.
There were a few rows of windows on the side of the black hull as cargo was being loaded by a crane. The poop deck was full of activity as they were receiving and dropping off cargo.
“So signore, how do we call you?” Lento finally asked. Allan thought for a moment as he led them to the bridge. “You can call me Admiral” he gloated.
“Grazie signore” Lento responded using his Italian charismatic persona. Allan glanced back at him, “Use English or German, I don’t speak Italian” he commented. Lento ignored the comment once they finally arrived at the bridge. The two Russians noticed there was a conversation going but could not understand for it was all in German.
“Herr Admiral Allan! Guten tag!” one man saluted. “Hallo Herr Lieutenant Wagner” as they formally greeted. “So, you are the guests with the formal training I hear” the lieutenant replied. He sported a long German trench coat as if he was still part of the German army. Lento looked confused with his associates.

“Only I have that knowledge, these are my assistants” Lento answered quickly. “You failed to capture Tintin, not only did you fail capture Tintin, but you let one of your members be captured by INTERPOL, and could of killed Tintin in the process” he said evenly pacing. “We don’t take failure lightly Herr Lento” the lieutenant continued.

Lento and his two associates were immediately aware of the stakes. A few other armed men wearing black vests stood in the background wearing bandanas watching.

“I am not an unreasonable man Herr Lento, we didn’t expect you to succeed and the situation went exactly as we thought it would” he looked away. “Don’t worry. Every member of our group is an asset. Whichever group captures Tintin, will receive a sum of ten thousand British Pounds” he concluded. Allan cocked an eyebrow with interest.

Lento was amazed, but being a member of the corporate cult, they still knew little information why Tintin was so important to them. Being an opportunistic man he was, he wanted to ask but didn’t want to draw the attention of the scrutinizing lieutenant. “Understood Herr Lieutenant Wagner” Lento replied respectfully. “Very well, you are dismissed until further notice” he nodded.

“When I need you, I will find you, Gaspar is down below since he will be joining us” Allan informed. Lento motioned for his associates to follow him and Allan began conversing in German as they exited the bridge.

The northeastern winds began to pick up just a bit as the ship began to rock a bit more. Tintin walked out on the main deck watching the waves and a couple boats in the far off distance. Tintin estimated by their speed they wouldn’t reach their destination for a few hours. He pulled his trench coat tighter as he felt the chill. “Winter doesn’t die off without a fight” he thought as he decided to go check on Enzo.

He walked through the common area as the light filtered through the curtains illuminating it. Tintin returned the first aid kit to its proper place; then he climbed down the steep small flight of stairs to the cabins. “Ezno?” Tintin knocked. “Come in Tintin” he responded. As soon as Tintin opened the door Snowy jumped on Tintin licking him. Tintin picked him up, “Yea I love you too Snowy” he smiled.
“How are you feeling?” Tintin asked.
“Still hurting, but it’s slowly starting to go away” Enzo answered lying on his back.
“Are you getting hungry?” Tintin asked as he was too.
“Si, I am…” he nodded.
“Tintin, can I ask you a question?” Enzo’s curiosity inflected in his voice.
“Of course, what is it?” Tintin sat down on the opposite cot holding Snowy. Enzo continued to stare out of the small window as it was presently the main light source they had.
“Are you Captain Haddock’s first mate?”
Tintin considered the question as he too glanced as the pale light flooded into the room. “I guess you could say that” Tintin smiled. “Please forgive me if I am being too nosy” Enzo immediately followed up.
“No, it’s ok, why do you ask?” Tintin was trying to follow his line of questioning. Enzo shook his head, “How do I say this? I can see he has a great respect for you” Enzo completed his thought. Tintin almost laughed at the thought but acknowledged it. “I think so” Tintin agreed.
“My turn to ask you a question” Tintin said deciding to change the subject. “Who are you sending money to in your family?”
“My mother, and younger brother and sister” he answered. “You’re father?” Tintin continued.
“He died four years ago, we don’t know how… all we were told was that his ship sank during a bad storm trying to deliver supplies” he said sadly.
“I’m really sorry to hear that” Tintin nodded.
“It’s fine, Captain Chester gave my family so much money so they could survive. So I offered to work for him to pay off the debt” he finished.
“Have you paid your debt?” Tintin asked.
“Yes, but my youngest brother will be fifteen soon, but my mother says she doesn’t want him to work at sea because his talents lie elsewhere” Enzo sighed.
“I see, well at least you have family… what kind of talent does your brother have?” Tintin asked with mild interest.
“He is a violinist, he’s been playing since he was nine, father brought home a violin one day and he started playing small folk tunes. When we received the news about father, he hasn’t spoken a word since” Enzo frowned.
“He doesn’t speak?” Tintin asked in disbelief. Enzo carefully sat up, “According to mother and my sister, no, he only plays the violin when communicating—they think maybe he may be sick?” Enzo shrugged his shoulders.
“Maybe losing your father was too much for him?” Tintin shrugged as well. “I’m going to go ask the captains about what we are going to eat” he said getting up.
“I need to get out of the cabin for some fresh” Enzo slowly stood up.
“Do you need assistance?” Tintin offered.
“Thanks, but I think I can make it now” Enzo slowly followed Tintin up.

“So you think HM Customs will give us a hard time?” Haddock asked curiously.
“I know someone in that area we are going since I see my sister frequently, I think I can pull some strings for the rest of you, but Snowy will be a tough one since they require sixty days of Quarantine for animals” Chester replied.
“Shouldn’t be too much longer, I’m sure they will meet us once we get near the harbor” Haddock guessed as Tintin returned.
“So landlubber how’s Enzo?” Haddock smiled.
“He seems to be doing better, but what were you guys wanting to do about food?” Tintin asked hungrily.
“We’ll lower anchor once we get in the harbor, since I’m a citizen here of the United Kingdom I will speak with my friend in customs. Maybe if we are lucky we will catch a fish or two by the time they come to our boat” Chester laughed.
“Of course we will! We got two of the best mariners who sailed the seven seas!” Haddock laughed. “Great! How much longer until we reach the coast?” Tintin asked. “No more than another hour I think” Chester estimated. “Well in the meantime, Enzo and I will eat some of those biscuits and jam you have in the cabinet” Tintin smiled. “Be my guest” Chester smiled. “Would you like some too?” Tintin asked looking at both captains.
“We got our food right here” Haddock said with a small shot glass and a bottle of whiskey under the chair. “We’ll be fine” Chester winked.
Tintin smiled half-heartedly and returned to the dining area. “Here we go again” he thought.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 12-12-2012 at 11:20 PM..