Thread: SHORT STORIES!
View Single Post
Blackmail

Old 10-13-2007, 04:13 AM

I guess since I' am getting a little bored I'll write something of the top of my head.

The Rumor

He just stood there behind the door and I waited there staring at him slowly opening the front door. “What’s wrong?” I asked despite my fear of being rejected. He made a weird face that would probably answer my question seeing how he looked like a little boy whose dog just died. “My aunt, Trisha, just passed away.” I choked on my words and didn’t know what to say. I’ve never been capable to cheer someone up, it just wasn’t my talent. I always seem to hurt them even more and hurt myself thinking about it. “How long ago did you find out?” I stuck my hand in my pockets in search of my keys to lock the door, but all I got was a handful of pocket lent. “This morning, they found her just lying in her bed without any soul left.” Josh was a very sensitive boy and the smallest mislead comment or action would hurt him severely. I wanted to go back inside to get my keys, but I was afraid to offend him so I walked away with him.
I juggled the things to say in my mind and the possible ways that Josh would react to each of them. “I’ am sorry, that you have to deal with such a thing in the morning. Is there anything that I can do?” He just looked at me with an impenetrable face and it made me wonder whether I said the right thing. “It’s okay. I’ll be alright. I know you mean well.” He looked up at me and smiled slightly then looked at my hand and said, “You should go back and lock your door.” I laughed a bit and turned around, for someone so young he was very smart.

It almost seemed as it happened in an instant, so fast I don’t remember it happening. I walked to school slowly thinking about Josh and how he is doing. Josh was a twelve year old boy and relied on his aunt to help him out when his mom and dad were fighting. To let a child suffer through that seemed wrong and I felt as if it was my fault. I remember Trisha when I was younger a sweet and warm-hearted women, she was always picking on Dexter, my older brother they had went to school together. I wonder how this is going to change everything, but I guess only time will tell.

The murmuring of Trisha’s death filled the school and teachers were frustrated that the students couldn’t concentrate. I just sat there thinking and listening to the rumors passing by like busy bees. “I heard that she died because she sinned too many times.” A guy across the room said. My head turned to face the boy talking; of course I was curious of what he had to say. “I heard she killed and old man and even stole a homeless person’s food.” I was through listing it was simply to tell the person was a moron. Home was no different from school either. While mom cooked dinner dad clucked, he clucked enough that would annoy a barn of chickens, and it was all about Trisha. My head hurt because of all the drama. Trisha this, Trisha that. Why is it when someone dies they don’t actually die!? I never had any problem with Trisha, just the stupidity of the rumors.

“Tracey, what’s the answer to question 3?” Mrs. Barns had to be made because that was the fifth time she asked me that question before I woke up from my day dream. Ms. Barns slammed her ruler on my desk and I woke up with a surprise look on my face and if that bell didn’t ring when it did, I’d be toast. “Josh! Wait up!” It was time to go home and I wanted to walk with Josh to make sure he is alright. “What’s up?” I asked. “Nothing much, we’re suppose to be having a big dinner at my house, do you want to come? I asked my mom in advance. So…?” I smiled at the fact that he was ok now and I nudge him in the arm, “What are you guys having?” I said with a smile.
When Josh opened the door to the dining room my eyes shot open like I seen a ghost, there she was, Trisha. I could tell Josh was surprised as much as I was because his mouth seemed to reach the floor. “What wrong you two?” She said. Josh stood there and I knew that was my sign to speak. “W…w….we thought you died.”