View Single Post
Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 AM

So, there I was, driving through Dallas because I was foolishly following GPS directions when this pickup truck attempted to change lanes just ahead of me. Instead of paying attention and looking to see if it was clear to do so safely this driver flipped on the turn signal and went anyway. The pickup then made contact with the car in the other lane. Immediately awoken by this inconvenience, the driver of the pickup swerved sharply to the left which was only about 40 yards ahead of me. The pickup truck then overcorrected to avoid striking the barrier separating the opposite direction of traffic and swerved again sharply to the right.

By this time the car whom the pickup hit had moved far enough ahead just enough to avoid being struck twice as the careless pickup truck driver overcorrected attempting to regain control of his/her vehicle. But the steering overcorrection was too great and the forward momentum caused the pickup truck to then over roll onto its passenger side and coming to rest once it struck the freeway barrier on the right side.at low speed.

Fortunately for me, I was able to avoid being stopped so I continued on. I never stop for roadside crashes since parking a big rig along the road creates a huge hazard.

In retrospect, this crash could easily have been prevented had the pickup truck driver looked before deciding to change lanes. But, even if the pickup had still struck the car, not over steering and calmly moving back into the lane which it came from would have prevented this crash.

These days, I see a lot of drivers stay in the leftmost lanes as long as possible waiting until a quarter mile or less at speeds in excess of 60 mph before attempting to merge right so they can make their exit. Instead of realizing that they made a mistake and continuing on until the next exit, these bozos will cross three lanes of traffic, having feet to spare before the exit lane ends becoming dirt.

Please don't be one of these bozos. Plan your turn. Know well in advance of when you need to begin merging to the right. Be patient. Don't needlessly pass other vehicles only to pass directly in front of them to make an exit.

Last edited by Mr. Wrong; 01-18-2019 at 09:05 AM..