Thread: "Transracial"?
View Single Post
monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 11-23-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fang View Post
This is one area where I am more comfortable at the notion of a person being "transracial." Not that I am comfortable with anyone being made to feel this way. I can't speak to your sister's situation as prior to this post of yours, I was completely unaware you even had a sister. However there has been a trend where people with stigmatized identities will change their racial identity when given the opportunity.
I suppose. I just don't understand it fully. :< mom took us to Mexico one year so my sister could try out real mexican food, my sister was not amused. Its not like anyone knew we took a trip to mexico, it was just supposed to be a cruise. but my sister, not amused. I guess neither me, nor my mother really thought it was that bad. At the very least where we grew up. If she was ever bullied for her skin color or anything, *I* was never told because I would have kicked their asses (and also she was OBSESSED with tanning so for the longest time we just thought she was doing ok about it).

I also want to note that aside from my previous post, I've never "outed" my sister as part-mexican before, because I did understand that she...at the very least resented her birth parents (she has 9 older siblings, whom her parents kept, whereas I was the oldest child of a single mother).

I don't talk about her much because we don't get along.

But yes, I guess in that light (your post above, sorry may have gotten sidetracked...meh deleted some stuff that wasn't really relevant) I can see why she does it. If it grants you privileges you otherwise would not have, I can see someone doing so. "Passing" is something that can be greatly important as to not make yourself a target for racists and jerks.

Also my sister was well-beloved by her peers as far as I can tell. I don't think any of the people she knew at least when I knew her, would have had a problem with it.
We grew up in a mostly Jewish town. :/ With some WW2 vets. So I thought?? I dunno I thought people would have understood.
I guess someone somewhere along the way made her feel less than human for it.
:( Which makes me very sad, to be short.

ps if none of this makes sense i woke up from a bad dream and took pain meds before bed because i'm waiting on surgery and gallstones suck
so...ask my to clarify anything if you want.

Again though, I wish we could all just meld together and not have race be an issue at all. It breaks my heart that people would think* they have to change their race to fit in.

*only using word think because cant think of better word because brain-jelly...maybe feel or be afraid or think thats the only solution??

Also I worry a LOT about cultural appropriation.
One of my friends is all like "omg you should get dreads!!" and my response was "I don't want to offend anyone" and she looked like I slapped her in the face (she is a proud biracial woman who does locking for a living. People travel hours to have their hair done by her).
I was just so worried that someone would accuse me of trying to steal from another culture. That's never my intention. My intention is typically to appreciate. And I can appreciate it from over here, looking at all the pretty/different/historical/etc things these different people want to share on the internet. I don't feel the need to emulate it, its not mine to do w/ as I please.

also talking through this did actually help me understand a little (hopefully the pain meds don't make me forget), thanks for bringing that up, Crimson.

& Ava as well, thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry people treated you differently because of your race :(

Last edited by monstahh`; 11-23-2017 at 12:51 PM..