Thread: Turn Offs
View Single Post
Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 12-26-2014, 01:33 AM

I don't like anime with weak MCs, male or female. Mostly female; it really irritates me when a female character always has to depend on the male character to save her from something that she can clearly get out of if she thought for herself (i.e a situation where a group of girls are harassing her for talking with the 'Prince Charming' of the school) I used to like those types of anime and manga when I was first starting out on anime because I was like every other teenage girl; I wanted to have a Prince Charming that was everyone's ideal guy fall in love with someone like me. But now that I look back on it, it was something that is really embarrassing; the guy was almost always an asshole the whole series and the girl was left to stretch herself thin just to accommodate to the guys needs. And then there is always the guy who is always a gentleman towards the girl MC and he's always kinds towards everyone, and he ends up marrying some minor character that I don't really care for.

If it were me choosing between those two guys, I would pick the other guy over the cold a**hole in a heartbeat.

I don't feel very comfortable with watching yaoi/yuri anime either. The whole concept doesn't settle well with me, and the characters are often really shallow/horny for the other character that they are crushing on. I've tried watching that anime and I never want to watch it again (call me old-fashioned, but that's just me) It's not the fact that I hate it or anything; I just can't sit through it comfortably like my other friends do. I don't judge anyone for watching it, but I just can't do it.

The idealized 'ace' in sports anime is also another character that I despise as well. They often have very little to almost no character development at all and they are often overhyped for the specific reason of being the best at what they do. It's like they have no flaws to work on and they are just cruising along in the anime just being themselves.

I have a pet peeve of predictable character developments too (the a**hole character becomes a better person, the villian ends up becoming the good guy, etc.) I've seen many character developments in many stories and I guess I can just sniff out what happens next in the story if it's blatantly obvious. The one thing that makes a good anime in my opinion is a really unpredictable character development that actually fits in with the story and isn't something random that has never happened before.

There's more that I probably haven't thought of so far, but for now, these are the ones that I dislike the most