View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM

To say that she hadn't expected outburst would be lying. But Mae had certainly been prepared for just what the dark elf began saying. She wanted to speak to him, assure that he had been mistaken, but decided against it. Before that, she'd let him talk it all out. Maybe he needed it, needed to vent and throw his pain and disappointment at someone. In her life as priestess, she had learned to listen, patiently and with kindness, even if the person was cussing her off the face of Earth or demanding that the temples be destroyed for Gods have abandoned them. Anything they had to say, she'd take it, and it was rare that anyone had anything good to say.

So, she watched him sizzle with thoughtful eyes and only when the first anger foam seemed to have dissipated partially, Mae spoke: "I do not assume you took part in crime because of your skin color. In my life, I have helped those that others would not even look at, I have no reason to blindly hate your race, or as it turns out, heritage from one of your parents. You see, assumptions are a slippery thing and even one who hates them can jump to one." Last part was meant about him, of course. In truth, he had gotten so many things wrong in his speech that regarded her as a person. But those were deeply private things that she wouldn't - couldn't - share with anyone. If she broke down now and told him that she was trapped here, in this 'everything' as he had said, he wouldn't believe. He would laugh and call her spoiled. And that's what she was, wasn't she? Her hand clenched in soft material of her skirt, but then she willed to let it go, allowed apathy to take over.

It wasn't hard, really - this Priestess was tired. For more than 24 hours she was awake and those had not been easy hours, too. Good thing she was fit and healthy, her energy pool also boosted by sun and anger towards the thief. She shifted slightly, so she could look at Saith, now standing at the window. "But the title and position you pointed out, puts certain duties on me. Therefor, I must find out the truth. You were involved in the scene, perhaps I came to wrong conclusion about your reasons, but most - of any race, mind you - would try to trick their way out this situation, even if they were guilty. I could not have let you go, just because you claimed you did nothing wrong."

His musing out loud about being trapped in the castle again stirred emotions and she looked away, staring at stone wall as he continued to speak, suddenly changing the subject back to the thief. No, not even thief, but more about what she had done... to him? At Saith's question she frowned slightly. "There were no magical weapons, although if I am correct that she stole another item from Moon temple, she possesses two incredibly strong magical artifacts and another peculiar item. Luckily, they are nearly impossible to use and no one has done so for millennium. To my knowledge, she wouldn't be able to use them on an instant - it requires special rituals and preparations."

Suddenly, his hands were on her shoulders and he shook her. She paled slightly, sudden flash of memory overcoming her (heavy hands on her, being dragged, hit... tossed, pale sunlight through bars, puddle of blood, begging and whimpering for something without a name in her mind - an end of this all), and drew breath sharply, trying to regain control. Few of Saith's sentences just slipped by her, but then elf composed herself. "There are many with different gifts that roam this area. Most can be used both for good and evil. It's hard to pinpoint her powers by your description and there are countless people with abilities on Isle."

If he'd comment on her sudden paling and what could be taken as display as fear as proof she actually held bias against him, Mae would sharply tell him that world and especially her life didn't revolve around him, cutting the conversation about it off before it even really began. If he didn't bring up, she felt relieved and didn't touch the subject. Either way, she quickly thought over information he had given her and then shook head at his worries. "I do not think she will stay here. All temples and the city has been alerted, another robbery would be too risky and I think she has all she wants. So, people here are safe."

There was a knock on the doors then. "My lady? The midday prayer time approaches. Is the prisoner giving you trouble?" voice called. "Thank you for reminder, Areth, and no, he is not," she replied and then turned to Saith. "I need to go now, but I will return tonight with decision what I shall do with you. Meanwhile, if you could write or sketch a description of this woman, it would be very helpful. Anything - hair, eye color, clothes - it could help me track her down. I will have someone bring you paper and pen." With that, she bid him good day (thinking it was extremely awkward) and left.

As Mae had said, a young priestess brought pen and paper to him and also meal, later in the evening. If he stood at the window, he could perhaps hear chanting and singing in the distance around midday and sunset, but otherwise, all was peaceful and quiet. Beside the locked doors and bars at the window (that didn't seem to have a touch of magic whatsoever), the room could be even considered pleasant.

When sun had set and prayers had ended, Lacrimae moved towards the prisoner's 'cell' once more. All day, she had been praying, thinking and scolding, and felt more tired than in many, many years. But she had come to a decision. Not just one, but the one regarding Saith had been the most thought over one. And elf sincerely hoped that it was correct. If not, she would have a lot to answer for when she came home and it could risk the success of her trip. Still, being the kind of person who doesn't change mind easily, she decided to stick to what seemed the best and take the punches if it went wrong.

She entered the room quietly, remaining at the doors, "I have come to a decision that you will be freed from temple upon my departure in few day's time. Until then, you will not be contained in this room and can roam most of the temple, but are not yet allowed to leave its grounds. This incident will not be mentioned or held against you in any way or form, unless you commit crime therefor casting shadow on your excellent reputation. If that were to happen, court may judge you both for that crime and this episode, if they wish. Other than that, you will be awarded a prize of your choice in value of five hundred gold pieces for your help and support you have given townspeople." It was a large sum, but she found him deserving. He did what she couldn't - provided food for people. Money couldn't buy what simply wasn't in stores, although every year she ordered shipment of food from capital, but Mae knew most of it remained with the rich and already well fed. She had also ordered priestesses to feed anyone who came asking to the temple and visit poor mothers with children, giving them baskets, but most of that was frowned upon by city council as it 'created fake impression the city is in bad state'.

The woman inquired then if he had managed to make any notes about thief. Honestly, she wanted little more than to go and sleep, but maybe there was something important that he had recalled and it was better to know it now than later.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~