Thread: The Artifice
View Single Post
keysburger
Like a Cheeseburger but not

Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 AM

Michael

Mike was having the [I]perfect[I] day. The flight schedule was non-stop, and, to make things worse, this inspection was driving the chiefs crazy, which meant more work for Mike. It was 1530, though, so his relief would be here any minute. Mike glanced at the clock. 1531. His relief was now 1 minute late. No big deal, so he is a little late. Its his first day, give him a break. Mike headed out to the flight line to check the tire pressure on one of the Hornets. Any excuse to get out of here before Chief Bigsby gets here and-

"TAMARANG!!!!!!"

Son of a bitch. "Yes, chief?

"Where is your relief, sailor! I told you to pick him up at the airport at 1515, dumbass!"

That tears it!"Like hell you did, chief! You told me to do a 36 day inspection, which is supposed to take 4 hours, one hour ago! How am I supposed to pick him up while I am under a bird!"

"Tamarang, if I told you to do an inspection an hour ago, why are you in here?"

"Because I am that damn good, thats why!"

"Well, in that case, I suppose Airman (looks at paper in hand) Goldstein should be trained by the best. Looks like you have a brand new booter to train, shipmate. Pick him up right away, and then you can stand his shift with him starting tomorrow. Enjoy your last night off duty, shipmate."

Great. Back on the night shift... Maybe I can find someone to switch shifts with Goldstein. I can always talk to Senior Chief Grimer, he can approve it so Bigsby won't even see it coming. I just need the right guy. Now who do I know that owes me a favor... As Mike climbed into his car and drove to the airport, he thought of every time he covered a mistake, every time he won a bet, even the times when he took an ugly girl home for a buddy's sake. All the favors had been paid back. Except for one...

"Hey, Burchel, its me, Mikey! Hows it going? So, how is leave?"

"Not bad, man. Can't wait to start day shift tomorrow. You know I have been pushing that for weeks. Finally I can go to the club at night, when there are people there!"

"Yeeaah... about that. Remember the time when you screwed the skippers daughter?"

"Mike..."

"I kinda need you to switch with the new guy on nights..."

"Mike, I swear to god..."

"After this, we're even, I swear."

"Lets discuss this in person. Meet at the bar at 2200."

"Copy. Mike out."

Mike arrived at the airport USO, and immediately spotted Goldstein. He looked in his 20s, and rather bored. He was sitting in his dress whites, drinking an energy drink. Mike picked him up and drove him to the barracks where he would be staying. Mike and him talked football on the way up. He seemed like a pretty good guy, actually.

After setting his Seabag on his rack, Goldstein asked "Do you know of any good bars around here? I haven't had a drink in a while."

"Actually, I was heading down to one to meet a buddy so we can get us on day shift. Do you want to come?"

"Really? You just met me."

"You're all right, for a Lions fan, anyway. I'll pick you up at 2130."

Mike went to his barracks, played some Battlefield, and showered to get ready for the bar. After he picked up Goldstein, he was on the highway on his way to the bar. Suddenly, a dark presence, seemed to leer, just inside his blind spot. He checked, nothing there. He felt it again, again nothing. He shook it off, and drove to the bar. The two of them found Burchel right away and started to talk and drink...

Last edited by keysburger; 11-28-2011 at 01:15 AM..