Thread: The Artifice
View Single Post
Clairefirestar9mm
Caboose :3

Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Genesis shrugged her shoulder slightly, pushing red hair out of her eyes. "It's going good so far," she said after a moment in her low, sweet voice, deciding that she was going to have to get used to being more vocal. She glanced up as a young girl walking into the bar- she was tempted to go and shoo her out, because she was clearly too young to be there (although Genesis could see a level of maturity beyond other girls of her age in the way she held herself.) Then she realized the take-out boxes in her hand, and looked more closely at the girl. Ah, a delivery shirt. Genesis let it be, turning back to Alex. She cleared her throat slightly, then watched as he picked up the note. When did that get there...?

She looked back up at Alex to reply, and found him giving her something akin to a death glare. It only threw her off for a second, and there was no shift in her expression to show her surprise; the only indication that she had been startled was a flash of apprehension in her clear blue eyes.

"I don't know," she replied evenly. She leaned over to read it, her eyes scanning over the words quickly. Two words leaped out at her, betraying their writer. another Hulk. She looked up automatically, her eyes falling on the soldier who had ordered the drink before she looked back at Alex. Hopefully he hadn't picked up on who she had looked at, but the way she was watching her made her doubt that was possbile. I'm sorry, she thought, but hardly dared to look over at the man again.

Before she could make a reply to Alex, a customer walked up to the bar. A man in a hat, she noticed, but... oddly, nothing else about him was discernable. There was nothing extraordinary about him, she concluded after a moment. Nothing for her to notice.

Until he requested raw meat.

"Raw...?" she started, then shook her head and shrugged. She'd seen stranger. "Alex, I don't know exactly where the food is kept," she said as she turned back to him. Something felt wrong here- she couldn't turn completely away from the stranger. It took her a moment before she realized why. She didn't feel comfortable with him at her back. It puzzled her, and above all made her suspicious. All night, she'd had people at her back and hadn't feel the least bit apprehensive, but now... she couldn't help her eyes darting to glance at the man every few seconds, shifting on her feet almot nervously as she waited for Alex to reply. The man behind her was whistling a familiar tune- row, row, row your boat- but the way he whistled it didn't bring back nostalgia. Instead, it sent a creeping, undescribable fear up her spine. One that was strong enough to freak out even her, and the fear showed on her face, just the slightest bit.

[[Sorry for my absence! Had a busy friday night, it was my little brother's birthday.]]